Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1984 P Lincoln Memorial Cent Incuse DDD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 237Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
769 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am curious how these incuse marks happened above the In on the obverse. I know the die was in terrible shape so I am thinking a form of die deteriation? I just cant figure out why those marks are most prominent above one word. I'm not sure if the marks on the rim are part of that damage but I do think the incuse marks are the same size as the devices so I think happened during the minting process. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
46461 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
769 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks John1 thats what I thought it's just different than what I have seen, being a newb, I was just curious how the marks were made incuse.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46461 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop would be the one to explain in detail.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59535 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note these are in a different direction than the rolling lines. They in the direction of the die flow lines of extreme die wear. These die flow lines are prevented by the devices, thus why they look so different behind the devices.

Also note the devices are smaller than normal. So these were already polished off from ridge ring, making them smaller. So it is as mentioned is also a part the the DDD. Never will these be a die variety, but a die event. So they are just more die wear from on the dies. They will be using these dies until retirement. Not a plus for these coins. Just die events that we notice on these single squeeze dies. They also happen on the reverse as well:

So these are die events. They are not a premium for these coins, but just more die events that we see on these coins. Seeing the OP's images helped me to put this all together. (Always learning something new everyday, putting the puzzle pieces together) I've had these images for some time now, just putting things together as we dig deeper into the DDD affect on cents.

CoopHome: What is new about DDD on cent coins? new ideas on DDD die events
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/17/2022 7:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
769 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsp193 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That explains it very well and now I have the visual! It just looked interesting and I could not picture how those incuse marks got there. Now I see! Thanks as always coop! I appreciate it!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 237Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: