Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wowie 1802 Large Cent! Pre-Strike, Post-Strike, A Little Of Both?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 543Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  10:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everybody! It's a glorious day... I'm just going to post this and not comment unless asked. Take a good look! 1802 S-236 for the variety. Have fun!

Learn More...
United States
24780 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes a lot going on with this coin. I'm interested to see where we net out on this one.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No one? Really? If it helps, I'll add the variety is known heavily bulged behind the head, between the ribbon knot and the curl. Anyone? It's like the coin had amnesia, and walked into my store. It can't tell me what happened to it...
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2322 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell if that's a die clash with UN behind Liberty's bow or if it was just whacked with another coin. The reverse looks deliberately notched all the way around. I have no idea what distinguishes an S-236.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were die clashing, there would be a Positive image of the clashed design (like hubbing the obverse die with the reverse die). If someone pounded a reverse on top of the obverse in some hammer or vice scheme, how would that get around the diebulge? If it were a true overstrike on a brockage error, then what else happened?
Edited by Oldgrouchyguy
08/20/2022 4:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oldgrouchyguy-So what is your opinion on this coin?
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think the most likeley explanantion for the incuse bit is post mint damage. someone smashed the reverse of a different coin into the obverse of this one using a press or a vice or some such. probably done to emulate a brockage.
i like large cents. I currently have >220 Sheldon varieties and >230 middle date Newcomb varieties.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2273 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a "vise" job, or something alike. This coin obviously got smashed at one point or another, and I think there was another coin on top of it.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's this (the reverse of an 1816 Large Cent)
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, the presser used a different Type for the impression... if you follow the impression pattern, it seems to be over the lines, which are really weird. Pics tomorrow
Pillar of the Community
United States
2322 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it were die clashing, there would be a Positive image of the clashed design
While I agree that what we're seeing is likely intentional, I disagree with this statement. When one die whacks another die and leaves it's design, it is effectively creating a coin/hub on the other die (a "positive" image). When that die (whose clashed areas are now effectively a "hub") then strikes a coin, those areas on the coin are essentially what the original die looks like - reversed, and incuse where elements on a coin are supposed to be raised, and vice-versa. I own several coins that demonstrate this, for example a Barber dime with the portrait outline visible on the reverse from a clash, where the portrait is clearly reversed and incuse into the field, and a Canadian Voyageur dollar with an inner ear clash on the reverse, which is a raised area on the die, then incuse on the clashed die, and subsequently raised on the coin. Again, I do think what we see there is deliberate, but a die clash could conceivably produce the same thing.
Edited by kbbpll
08/22/2022 3:43 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 543Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: