Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uknown British Coin Error? (Identified: George III Halfpenny Of The 1770-1775 Issue)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 642Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  01:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Craigzogo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Okay I understand that you guys are the experts. I also have one other coin related question. Forgive me for not posting this in the right forum this site is a little confusing to me.. do you know what this is? If it is even a coin.

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craigzogo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen anything like this or found anything like this and you guys are the experts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Craigzogo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was just wondering if any of you had any information as to what this is? And if it even is a coin? Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3656 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin must be redirected to the proper channel. I will not pronounce on.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4064 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AFAICT this used to be a 18th century British halfpenny or farthing, but for some reason the rim had been squished down (judging by the state of wear, probably not long after the coin was minted).

I'm not sure why the squishing, and I'm not good enough at British coin portraits to attribute it any better than "18th century" (could even be early 19th), though I think it looks like George III. Unfortunately the date is probably gone now.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
11322 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  04:05 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- A George III halfpenny of the 1770-1775 issue, similar to this:

Large, low-value copper and bronze coins have always been targets for vandals with too much time on their hands. Maybe someone was bashing the rim with a spoon with the intention of making a ring, but never finished.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
47442 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17063 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Craigzogo
That is a British coin, have asked a mod to move it to the proper forum.
Please do not post more than one coin on the same thread, it only causes confusion.
Learn More...
United States
118429 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Forgive me for not posting this in the right forum this site is a little confusing to me..
No problem. Your reply was split into its own topic and moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Learn More...
United States
118429 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also merged in the duplicate topic that was posted in the Identification forum.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
512 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coopertron5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm impressed they've bashed it in so well. Shame really, it's otherwise a nice example.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 642Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: