Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Papal Annual Medals. Comment And Question.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 422Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Italy
537 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  2:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I come across a fair amount of these in Rome, but I have found very little widespread collector interest.

I only own one other, but bought this medal because of the fantastic toning on the reverse and the price. For large silver, 39.33 grams and 44 mm, and low mintage 3,150, I am surprised these aren't more popular. I get that they are religious and feature the Pope, but the reverses are typically wonderful. I have read about them on Italian sites and a few threads here, but curious what everyone thinks of these

Learn More...
United States
26063 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@roma, that is very nice, especially the rev showing the basilica and the papal apartments (I think—pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Most of my collection focus is on older, smaller silver coins and without access to infinite piles of money I'm forced to make hard decisions about what to add to my collection. 20th Century medals just don't make the cut, although these and Swiss Shooting Thalers would be near the top targets for me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Italy
537 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence, I think that is St. John's of Lateran - which is an Archbasilica and the seat of the arch diocese of Rome and the Basilica in Assisi. I have been to both; the Assisi Basilica I am nearly certain is on the medal, but St. John's ... not sure. I haven't double checked, but I think that's my understanding based on the text.

Good point on focus (and budget). I am still curating what and how I want to collect, but the toning and price took me on this one.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1270 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The medal shows the Basilica in Loreto (Basilica della Santa Casa di Maria, or Basilica of the Holy House of the Virgin Mary) and the Basilica in Assisi. The text on the medal refers to (the pope's) pilgrimage to the basilicas in Loreto and Assisi in conjunction with the Second Ecumenical Council of the Vatican 1962.

It is a nice medal, attractive toning - I can understand that you fell for it. For me, I enjoy looking at medals, like this one, but I have no interest in collecting them. I cannot provide a rationale for why not - it's just not my thing.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
537 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@era... I pass on a lot of these... Usually they are cleaned or boxed (I can't stand mint packaging or any packaging; this is largely because I like to use space efficiently and boxes take up too much room). In the time I've collected my main guideline has been..."do I like it? Will I enjoy owning it?" Since everything we own is essentially temporary, I buy things I don't mind being the custodian of for a finite amount of its history...
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angelo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just sold my collection at HA.com last year and many more are going up in the next few months. There is little collector interest except for the silver ones. The bronze are just as wonderful as the silver. Many of the medals are done by the engravers of the Italian Mint. I just had too many and had to get rid of some of the collection. I regret it somewhat, but I did do very well in the auctions. You can check HA.com for past prices
Pillar of the Community
Italy
537 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@angelo, I checked out HA, and recent sales are interesting. You collected some good medals. I tend to just buy what I like and I see a lot of these medals, but usually pass.

Unfortunately, Italian collectors LOVE to polish their coins and medals. Yesterday, I consigned (it's how sales are done here) at a shop and the clerk was put off by the patina on the coins. I told him a collector could polish them if they liked.

Given the detail in these papal medals I am still surprised they don't have a wider u.s. (or non-italian) collector base.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 422Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: