Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Beauty Of The 1968 Quarter Toner I Got

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,319Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
282 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  6:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Really nice 1968 silver quarter toner.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75250 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20610 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very careful temperature and timing control heat treatment can achieve the sort of toning seen here.
This one has seen circulation since it's ordeal.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10691 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2022  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like it.
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beaver22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the toning is rainbow. That is very nice. However I suggest you use a non-damaging way to remove the ugly toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20610 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning, be it ugly or beautiful, cannot be removed with non injurious acetone or xylene.
A silver cleaning solution will remove toning, but the coin will also appear to be obviously cleaned.
TPGrading companies will still grade cleaned coins, but the coin will be assessed with a 'comments', which, for most collectors, will mean a significant loss in value.

In this case, for a minority of collectors, there may be an increase in eye appeal, and the loss in value for them, may be less.
Valued Member
Canada
201 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can dip carefully with something like Pro Dip without it being quite so obviously cleaned, at least not in the way you are suggesting with the comments. It does tend to be fairly obvious as the coins come out fairly white and bright if the coin only had light toning and they come out with light toning if the previous toning was fairly dark. Obvious cleaning is when you run something even lightly abrasive over the surface, something to be avoided at all costs. Depending on what the coin looks like in the before state, a quick dip can enhance the appeal. It doesn't distinguish between nice toning and ugly toning though...it will all be reduced or removed. I'd also recommend you learn what you're doing on some really cheap toned coins first as you will likely wreck a few before you figure it out. Over-dipping can really mess up the surfaces of a coin for sure.
Valued Member
Canada
201 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2022  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and to be clear I'm not advocating for dipping any coins. I'm just explaining it is possible and it is done. PCGS doesn't really have a problem with it at all as long as it's done well. Personally I like well toned, original coins more than bright shiny ones most of the time. I have to admit though that when you have a coin with really nice, heavy cameo it tends to pop a lot more after a quick dip.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
701 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  01:26 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry to say, but I find that is, without a doubt, THE ugliest 1968 quarter I have ever seen !
I cut this coin out of it's prison in 2017, and dipped it. Turned out perfect.

(go to the fifth post down the page that appears, TerryT post)

http://goccf.com/t/297682&whichpage=2#2538419
Edited by TerryT
09/24/2022 01:34 am
Valued Member
Canada
282 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ugliest really? You must really like your blast white coins lol, if you can't tell I like all the toning of the coin, even on the reverse!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20610 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2022  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most pristine a silver coin can possibly be,
is equal in appearance, as if it had just left the coining press.
In this situation, it would appear blast white, with radial luster (if not a proof).

Some collectors prefer toned coins, others don't; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and is purely subjective.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,319Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: