Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1799 Draped Bust Dollar Normal Date - 7x6 Stars W/ Berries

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 525Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  1:28 pm Show Profile   Check collector.detector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add collector.detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I'm in the process of remotely evaluating a friend's collection before I can see it in person. The collection had been in her family since at least the 1950s. This is one of the best pieces. Does anyone with a book about the dies confirm the authenticity? Also, what would the grade be, if it was indeed authentic?

Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to say that this coin is in the low to mid VF range. At about 8 O'Clock on the reverse, there does appear to be some edge damage, but likely not enough to details the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9461 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through the attribution of this coin and came up with BB-165, B-8, same as a coin that I posted here recently. This is a very common 1799 variety.

I did however run into an issue. I looked at the position of star 7 and the L of LIBERTY in the coin's obverse. It does not appear correctly positioned for any of the known obverses. Star 7 seems positioned too high in your coin relative to the base of L in LIBERTY. This is not possible based on the known obverse dies. My assessment is not definitive so you should do further research based on this starting point.

OP's coin:

Reference coin:

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
My coin e-commerce website:https://nummumcoins.com
Let me build your coin e-commerce website: https://nummumcoins.com/ur-site/
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Edited by numismatic student
10/09/2022 2:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26176 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice original looking VF-30.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2629 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Date position is wrong for it to be BB-165. Looks like a dead match to BB-167. Took me a while to find one with the same die crack through AM near rim but here's one https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-doll...bnail-071515

Quote:
1799 $1 7x6 Stars AU55 NGC. B-14, BB-167, R.3. Bowers-Borckardt Die State IV. This is the latest die state recorded in the Bowers-Borckardt reference, with a die crack connecting the tops of AME. That crack extends left nearly to the wing, and appears to emerge from the right top of the E.
Looks authentic, not sure about grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6687 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Real. VF35 to XF40. Nice original, uncleaned, unmessed with coin. Hope it is able to stay that way!
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check collector.detector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collector.detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to all. I agree. It is a very original and attractive piece.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13726 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF40. the little rim issue reverse will not detail the coin imo
Pillar of the Community
United States
822 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also in VF-35 to XF-40 range on this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75215 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VF-30, possibly 35. Nice example.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 525Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: