Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1911 Gold Half Eagle - How Can I Tell If This Is Real Or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 762Next Topic  

Netherlands
1 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  09:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Thomas23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2843 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  10:08 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi that coin screams fake, but the first step to proving that would be to weigh it on a gram scale. It should weigh 16.7 grams. I am pretty sure that will settle it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17422 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All you have to do is compare it to a photo of a genuine coin.
It is definitely a counterfeit. The stars are wrong, the date is wrong just for starters.

Almost forgot
to the CCF
Edited by JimmyD
10/13/2022 10:21 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75184 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree the date logo looks wrong - the 9 should not be taller than the other numbers. And the reverse looks comical. Total fake.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
120727 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
478 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2022  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing that jumped out at me was the lock of hair which prominently covers the lower half of the space on the 'B'. Compare that with a genuine coin, for example the 1911 on the PCGS site. No question this is fake.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2022  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot to not like about this one...

Would be interesting if a sigma showed any gold!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3814 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2022  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a lot of high quality gold fake coins on the market. but I would not put this one in that category. This one is a one look fake, and I would be surprised if the weight was correct. My guess is that the coin is not made from gold. The CCF members above provide more than enough information on how to tell that the coin is a fake.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 762Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: