Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1957 Canadian Penny Possibly On A Dime Sized Copper Blank

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 728Next Topic  

Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2022  9:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jarz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this penny recently from my Mom who has had it since she was roughly 10 years old (almost 50 years). It is a copper penny that is about 1/3 the thickness of a penny from that time, the same diameter as a dime, doesn't have the edge ridge, weighs just roughly 1.29g,

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4504 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid Coin , post mint damage .
This is not an error coin .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1307 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2022  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yup
Learn More...
United States
120816 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48569 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My first thought is acid damage also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question if you put acid on that coin to make it that thin wouldn't all the devices disappear
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1110 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid coin.....Please fill me in. Why would the rim be gone when it contains the most material to erode, yet the devices seem fine?
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this is acid would we not see a lot of pitting as well
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6229 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If this was acid and being that thin you would not see the details on the rev and obv
Plus why would the acid just eat the rim and nothing else?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2521 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like your classic '50s slug to me...
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4644 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like acid to me as well, but it's not like hydrochloric acid. It a mild acid that starts to eat away evenly on every metal surface. It doesn't just attack the design elements, it gets everything evenly. Back in the 50's and sixties, you could do the same thing by putting a coin in Coca-Cola for a long time, changing the coke every few days if I remember right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2629 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can shrink a coin by zapping it with a powerful electromagnetic field. Not sure how it affects the weight though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48569 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need coop to splane it to us
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
632 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2022  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, shrunk coins: they get quite deformed but the weight remains the same. They get thicker though - the electromagnetic pulse kind of rearrange the material.

Second, you don't even need to run after an acid - any cola will do it - it is sufficiently corrosive. My record is 0.9g. Put the coin on a plastic cap and submerge it in cola. Note that the rim is attacked from 3 sides while the surfaces only one so it dissolves faster.

(edited for clarity)
Edited by t_y
11/26/2022 3:24 pm
Learn More...
Canada
10315 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  09:02 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We need coop to splane it to us

No, we don't. This is a well documented altered coin type. All the information on this sort of post-mint modification is here: https://www.error-ref.com/acid-shrunk-coins/

I see these thin acid coins all the time; heck, if I really wanted to, I could have probably built a date set of them.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: