Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Liberty Seated Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 944Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1076 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2022  12:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Reading the article about the dime I could not understand everything PCGS I could not understand everything. For example, I don't understand this

"As a counter to widespread hoarding of silver coins in the early 1850s when the silver content of the dime (as well as the other circulating silver coins) exceeded its face value, the weight of the dime was reduced from 41.25 grains to 38.40 grains. To signify this change, an arrowhead was placed on both sides of the date. Otherwise, the Liberty Seated design remains the same as used from 1838 through early 1853. Large quantities were produced of the 1853 with arrows Philadelphia Mint issues; a coinage in excess of 12 million. Lesser quantities were made of other issues, Philadelphia and San Francisco pieces, through 1855"

1)What is grains? It says about the smartest weight from 2.67 grams to 2.48 grams.?
2)As far as I can see, coins of the type (1853-55) were not produced at all at the San Francisco Mint. What period are we talking about ? About what type ?
Edited by Slerk
11/27/2022 12:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2627 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2022  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A grain is a unit of measure, literally based on the weight of an average grain of wheat or barley. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_(unit)
By "other issues" maybe he's talking about other "with arrows" denominations or dates - there are 1855-S quarters and half dollars "with arrows" for example.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75184 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2022  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, he was suggesting that some, not necessarily all, of the other mints produced different denominations in the subsequent years.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1076 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2023  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to the PCGS website in the Coins Fact section and then went to the Liberty Seated Dip section of the "Type 4, Stars Obverse, Arrows at Date" period. There is a quote written about this period and about this type of coins, which I indicated in the first message. I don't think we are talking about other denominations, besides, I won't be able to find other denominations issued at the San Francisco Mint.
Proof coins of this period were issued only at the Philadelphia Mint.
So what coins is the author talking about ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3814 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2023  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lesser quantities were made of other issues, Philadelphia and San Francisco pieces, through 1855"

The sentence is vague with the term issues. The author should have used the word denominations instead of issues.

The following coins were minted at the SF mint with arrows:
1855 S Quarter mintage 396,400
1855 S Half Dollar mintage 129,950
Edited by Slider23
01/03/2023 09:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2627 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2023  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The quote in context is here, for reference. https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/cate...ated-dime/95
Since there were no With Arrows dimes produced in San Francisco in any year, the "other issues" has to mean other denominations and dates. They do phrase things in the wrong way, and make mistakes in these blurbs. Note, for example, that the paragraph fails to mention the With Arrows dimes produced in New Orleans. And under 1853-O, it says
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...-arrows/4604

Quote:
Despite the increased mintage, the 1853-O Dime is a true rarity in Mint State and it is, in fact, the rarest of the six With Arrows Dimes.
What are the 6 With Arrows dimes? I only see 5 of them - 1853, 1853-O, 1854, 1854-O and 1855.
Pillar of the Community
United States
880 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2023  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 grain equals .0647 grams, therefore the earlier weight (without arrows at the date) should be 2.67 grams. The reduced weight (with arrows at date) should be 2.48 grams.
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2023  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slider23 is close... there are also the 1873 & 1874 Issues with Arrows minted at San Francisco
Pillar of the Community
United States
1352 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2023  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "lesser quantities" refers to the 1853o, 1854, 1854o and the 1855. Of which none had over 5 million pieces struck. In 1856, the arrows were removed and would not return until 1873 for the same reason, to designate a weight change. Also, to state that the design remained the same since 1838 is inaccurate as in the first year it had no stars on the obverse and 1840 had a with and without drapery variety, a change which remained afterwards. On a side note, I've been on this series for several years and lack only the 1853 no arrows of those years.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
01/07/2023 11:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3723 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2023  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meaning died in editing.

What they meant to say is bold

"Large quantities OF DIMES were produced of the 1853 with arrows Philadelphia Mint issues; a coinage in excess of 12 million."
-----Burton
49 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLine Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 39 years (joined 1983)

PS: ANA's records are messed up, they show me as a 50-year member and I'm now Emeritus
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1076 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2023  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the sentence should sound something like this ?

"Large quantities OF DIMES were produced of the 1853 with arrows Philadelphia Mint issues; a coinage in excess of 12 million. Lesser quantities were made of other denominations and dates, Philadelphia and San Francisco pieces, through 1855"

If there are a lot of mistakes in their texts, maybe one of the participants will tell me where I can read about all types of American coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3723 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2023  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you are correct. No other interpretation comes close to making sense both with the words and the observed real life information.
-----Burton
49 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLine Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 39 years (joined 1983)

PS: ANA's records are messed up, they show me as a 50-year member and I'm now Emeritus
Pillar of the Community
United States
3814 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2023  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If there are a lot of mistakes in their texts, maybe one of the participants will tell me where I can read about all types of American coins?

For a single reference source for all types of US coins at a low cost Red Book is what I would recommend. If you want in-depth information, you will need a reference book for each coin type. If you do not want to spend any money, the internet is the best option.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
1076 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2023  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this book, but there is very very little information about the coin itself, it is more a guide to prices and basic types. I would like to read about coins about their history. Briefly. I don't need books of 500 pages, literally 3-4 paragraphs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3814 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2023  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to consider Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of US and Colonial Coins printed in 1988. A used copy on eBay goes for about $35. Breen did have a tainted personal life and some of his poor ethics did leak over into his writings and studies of numismatics. Some of his work was outstanding and still used today as reference material.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 944Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: