Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Strike, First Day Of Issue, Early Releases, First Releases And Designations Alike.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 567Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  08:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add izaaknason to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know this topic is fueled with a scamish outlook by many collectors, but I am one that looks at these slab designations as a possible collectible investment. Maybe I'm wrong, the way I understand NGC and PCGS early slabs, they are not intending as a certification of the first coins struck by the U.S. Mint...instead, they're utilized as the first batch of coins sent to the grading companies with a limited amount produced and cutoff dates?! Early slabs cost more, but just like low minted coins, low produced slabs could be viewed in a similar light.

I am new to this space, I have a small collection with some old and new coins. I mostly purchase coins on Ebay, sometimes I venture out and buy from local dealers, and other websites. I wish there were more coin shows where I live in Maine.

Try not to beat me up too bad on here, I understand people are staunch in their beliefs and I don't expect to change minds as much as I am just learning the market.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48491 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I am the type that believe in the saying: buy the coin not the holder.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Australia
938 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Allcoinage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Now there's a word I haven't heard in awhile ""Staunch""
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13707 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is probably a subject that should be in the main coin forum and not in this one which is more for modern coin grading
Learn More...
United States
120643 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add izaaknason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

this is probably a subject that should be in the main coin forum and not in this one which is more for modern coin grading

Sorry about that. I thought where these designations are relatively new, the modern coin grading forum was the best place. May take me a few tries to figure this community out, but I will one day.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Notatzaddik to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I take all of that as meta-collecting, and certainly not numismatics. If it brings you joy though, go for it. If it is for investment, I think it will not hold up over time. I do not care if it says first strike, I care what the coin looks like. Neither do I care if some person signed the slab. Perhaps we will soon be looking at coins that are kept only at high altitude, so that the lesser gravitational attraction from the earth causes less molecular strain on them :-)
Learn More...
United States
120643 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry about that.
No problem at all! We are always here to help.

This was moved to a forum dedicated to discussing TPGs, not the Main forum, since we are discussing a product offered by TPGs.

The Main forum, where it was suggested this be placed, is generally for things than are too broad to be categorized.

The US Modern Grading forum,where it was, is for posting images of coins to obtain a grade assessment from the members.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Some collectors have an OCD like pokemon gotta catch em all mentality and this will extend to varieties of labels. There are certainly cases where a limited edition label might be worthwhile and hold/increase value over time such as its from a specific show, or has a signature etc. Some of the others such as early releases/first releases (and many others that are discussed here as one example) https://www.ngccoin.com/about/help-...st-releases/ are a bit more generic such as being received by the third party grader in first 30 days after release and these may not hold as much long term appreciation by collectors over the regular slab. I would suggest to first collect coins and not labels, and if you happen to have a big pocket that allows to go above & beyond when your satisfied with your collection, the labels are another way to do so.
Edited by datadragon
11/28/2022 2:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with John, and extend it a bit further: buy the coin, not the description.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add izaaknason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I totally understand the classical side of grading and it is about the coin for sure. I just happen to like high graded early slabs because they are a little more rare and cannot be flooded beyond the cutoff dates, I think that alone, can add collectible appeal. I also like other designations such as +, PL, DPL, FS, and others.

At first, when I started buying graded coins I did a little research and stuck to the perfect grade ones. I steered away from the perfect grades in recent months and started to focus more on the coins and how many graded slabs were produced for those coins.

The question I have, if it's really about the coin and not the holder, why is there such a big value gap between the grading companies?

I appreciate the comments and insight.
Edited by izaaknason
11/29/2022 08:44 am
Learn More...
United States
120643 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
buy the coin, not the description.
Indeed.

For what it is worth, I have a few First Strike labels in my PCGS Ike collection. I was not looking to get them, and was certainly not going to pay a premium for them, but when I came across them at a price lower than ones selling with the standard label I figured I might has well add that "variety" to my set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The buy the coin not the label debate has been going on ever since the grading companies came into existence. Regardless of which side of the debate you fall on, the fact is that there are collectors out there for which the label matters and they will pay a premium for the label(s) they want.

Special labels cost the submitter more to obtain, so special label slabs generally have a higher asking price, at least initially, as the seller tries to recoup the cost of paying for the special label.

Whether or not a particular coin with a particular label is a "collectible investment" is a supply and demand issue. The supply is pretty much known from the TPG population reports, but the demand, both short and long term, is not. It's anyone's guess.

Quote:
The question I have, if it's really about the coin and not the holder, why is there such a big value gap between the grading companies?
Grading is subjective. The price differences of coins with the same grade from different grading companies is because of this. Ignoring the fact that coins with the same grade are not the same, the coin market believes, either rightly or wrongly, that some grading company's subjective opinions are "better" than other grading company's opinions. The market prices reflect this.
Edited by BadDog
11/30/2022 09:01 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 567Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: