Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Quarter Weight Is Lower Than Normal Specs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 280Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  2:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dreamin_Sqaw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Searched for topics before making this post.

I have gotten minimal results from the forum search.
I noticed a 1973 quarter posting about a 5.3 , I also have one. It weighs 5.36 grams and it is not a detector find.

I have several 1970's quarters and they all weigh in at spec.

I use the weightman Gold scale.
I've reset scale many times and weighed multiple coins in concession to see if I was right on what I saw.
I'm just curious about the weight difference. What can make it that different ?

Thanks

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17352 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a slightly thinner planchet.
The same as you can have thick planchets causing a coin to be overweight,
you can have thin planchets causing it to be underweight.
Pillar of the Community
United States
722 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large, clear, cropped images of the coin in question, both obverse and reverse please.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48409 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

5.67 is normal with a mint tolerance of 0.19 grams +/-.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60935 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it is within tolerance. (Only coins weighed at the mint are gold coins) A thinner planchet coin will show a weaker strike. But yours is normal from the description.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13778 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4179 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Dear and I need two sides photos and also the side rims pic please. I know some 1973 which are less then the normal. And this was because from one reason or other the mint receive two different kind of rolls: one bronze and one brass (for example) normally was suppose to be bronze. The brass was for Cents but not this dimension.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dreamin_Sqaw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Took me a minute to figure out where the reply icon was.
I do not have the pics yet for this coin.

BUT, I have a 1989 quarter that weighs 5.00 grams that I do have pics for. Should I post a totally new topic to get opinions on that as well ?
Thanks to all.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
48409 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  03:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One coin per thread is best.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 280Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: