Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1935 Wheat Penny Disappointing (I Assume) Post Mint Damage

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 616Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  7:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ondiwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I assume this is post mint damage. but wow what a find this would have been if the obverse wasn't damaged!

" her mind had gone
out for a stroll
and fallen down
a rabbit hole" . I'm here thanks to Gramma <3
Edited by Ondiwave
12/06/2022 7:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13855 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Taking the coins out of the 2x2's is preferable for imagery as it reduces any glare and reflections from the film on the 2x2's
Also having the images rotated correctly help me from having to crane my head over and hurting my old neck.

Now that all said, it looks like glue is on the obverse. hard to tell for certain with the 2x2 covering it.
an Acetone bath over night may help to remove it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75021 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, but don't get your hopes up too high.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13855 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6218 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin posted is a 1935 not a 1939
I would try an acetone bath to see if it cleans up.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10604 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a stain from a liquid source ('dirty' water?)--long dried. Yes, a long soak in acetone might (might...) improve things.
Learn More...
United States
26082 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin posted is a 1935 not a 1939

Fixed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ondiwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Omg . its NOT IN a 2x2. I sit the coins on a 2x2, its not enclosed. Again I do this because
A) I don't have a coin mat
B) I don't like the sound of the coin against the scope platform.

Anyway.
@dearborn - ok I have that. (painting contractor) but soaking it with acetone seems like it will ruin it more? or it doesn't matter? Thanks!
" her mind had gone
out for a stroll
and fallen down
Edited by Ondiwave
12/06/2022 10:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ondiwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@spence thank you- sorry for the typo.
" her mind had gone
out for a stroll
and fallen down
Pillar of the Community
United States
783 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2022  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone will not react with the metal.
It will remove glue, paint and other
Things. There may be color differences
Due to toning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13855 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, 100% acetone will not harm your coin. It is the only thing that will be recommended to remove gunk and dirt from a coin. Anything else could quit possibly damage one
Pillar of the Community
United States
2275 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I habitually use something other than acetone, only because acetone has a very rapid evaporation rate.
Naphtha is slower to evaporate and will not harm the coin in my experience.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2538 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be water based glue like Elmers if it is, acetone won't touch it. Soak it in pure water.
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ondiwave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok- so I tried pure water before posting- no luck.

@stoneman- cool- never heard of Naphtha- ill look into it- appreciate ya.
@dearborn heres the results.The reverse is the same. thanks for the tip!!

PS - I took a picture not on top of a 2x2 for y'all. lololol
" her mind had gone
out for a stroll
and fallen down
Edited by Ondiwave
12/08/2022 12:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9166 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much better now.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2275 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite attractive!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 616Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: