Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Austria (Salzburg) Pfennigs For ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 430Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  8:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add chirrrs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't know much about these, but the only info I have is that they are from Salzburg in Austria. Does anyone have an idea of the date or any other info for these?

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
6577 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
6577 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For comparison. Your lower right coin pasted to right.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6577 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding upper right coin: I've seen similar coats of arms for Leonhard von Keutschach.

Here's an example
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces72978.html
Edited by Bob L
12/09/2022 9:11 pm
Learn More...
United States
26116 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best practice is to post only one coin per thread so that we can give each coin the appropriate amount of attention. With that said, the one in the upper right is a bit later (151x AD). Here is a link to a similar uniface pfennig:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...=1&es=1&ot=1¤cy=usd&order=0

Added: Dang it Bob—you are too fast with these IDs. I can't hold a candle to you.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6577 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, think's it's an "L" below the coat of arms, or an "I"? I was reconsidering my initial call on that one, based on this question. But I don't know the series, and so I don't know if there is a coin that fits (with an "I" below).
Learn More...
United States
26116 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good point Bob. It should be a letter L for the bishop's first name, but clearly looks like a letter I on the op's coin. That turnip is his family's shield. Maybe struck from a faulty die?

Added: The soonest after Keutschach that I can find the letter I being used is for Johann Jakob Khuen von Belasi toward the end of the 1500s. His shield features a lion rampant though:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces72976.html
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chirrrs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I appreciate all of the responses so far! Thank you so much. I'm not very familiar with Austrian/German/Hungarian medieval coins, my focus has been on English and French and only recently started including Spanish. What literature should I be on the lookout for for these Germanic regions? Normally I try to do a good amount of research beforehand and just hope for confirmations of my evaluations, but I'm truly in the dark on these! I'll try to break them up in the future. Just knowing what resources to consult would be a huge step in the right direction. The Germanic coins are kind of the last of what I consider the "Big Four" of Europe (England/France/Spain/Germany) that I just haven't got into yet because I know that their regional history is so fractured that it seems to me like it would be the most difficult of those four. I guess my "Big Four" should probably be expanded to a "Big Five" eventually to include Italy, and I imagine that Italy will be every bit as complex as Germany in that sense.
Edited by chirrrs
12/09/2022 10:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
4127 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the upper right coin is a pfennig of Leonard von Keutschach, dated 151x (the last digit is unfortunately cut off), and the I is supposed to be a L.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those with the date moved that far to the right, though. Maybe it's a contemporary counterfeit?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6577 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Friedrich the Handsome, 1314-1330 for upper left. Mermaid wearing pointed hood for obverse.

Silver Pfennigs and Small Silver Coins of Europe in the Middle Ages, by David P. Ruckser and Lincoln Rodrigues is helpful for these issues. The PDF used to be available for free via Numista. These days it may be on academia.edu and other sites...I don't think it's on Numista anymore, but I'm not sure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 430Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: