On the ATB Quarters the letters on the outside reverse ring are incuse on the coin. (raised on the die) When there is slight die movement/bounce during the strike, then these letters are altered. This happens to a lot of them. But the die movement on reverse incuse devices on coins, these enlarge because of die movement. Below devices:
Side by side devices:
Here is how much they are altered: They can be above, below and next to the devices depending how the machine alters the strike.
Thanks for the photos COOP. Do you see why I am puzzled? On my quarter the the letters are stretched toward the rim radially in almost all directions. Only the date is not affected.
I had a partial roll of the ATB Quarters and most were affected this way. So I feel it is MD and very common. Probably a lot of these get listed on ebay and sold to the un-taught.
This is a Tribute to JDL, get a light w/ a Loop n hold Quarter in different positions n you will see ALL the designs! It's Pretty Wicked! Has Anybody Ever heard of this Tribute Quarter Before? How many were made? I also have one!
Quote: This is a Tribute to JDL, get a light w/ a Loop n hold Quarter in different positions n you will see ALL the designs! It's Pretty Wicked! Has Anybody Ever heard of this Tribute Quarter Before? How many were made? I also have one!
I have no idea what you are talking about! How about a photo and/or an explanation?
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use