Hi all I buyed a Morgan silver dollar with the year of 1921. Now the mintage is an O (for New Orleans), as I can see this on the backside of the coin. Is this possible or did I read the letter wrong? I ask because I didnt found any confirmation that in 1921 the silver dollars were also minted in New Orleans. If its really minted in New Orleans what you think is this Morgan silver dollar worth? I appreciate your opinions.
The New Orleans mint closed in 1909 so it is not possible that you have an authentically O Morgan. Probably a very worn D or else an altered mint mark?
Quote: The New Orleans mint closed in 1909 so it is not possible that you have an authentically O Morgan. Probably a very worn D or else an altered mint mark?
Thank you I didnt know that New Orleans mint was closed in 1909. Nevertheless its not a D. What else it can be than a D that looks like an O? Maybe CC (Carson City). Dont know if they minted Silver Dollars in that year? and we see only one C?
Quote: Your coin is very worn and impossible to be an O mint.
Why again it can only be a D or C. D is unlikely because the letter is round ond the left side
Quote: Can you post a larger photo of the mint mark area?
Yes I will put a larger photo so that you can evaluate again. Thank for your support
I think it is just a mark on the coin and it happens to be a coincidence that it looks like an O mintmark. As others have said, there were no O mint coins after 1909. It could be a counterfeit but 1921 is a very common date and at that wear level it is just worth it's silver content mostly.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use