| Author |
Replies: 7 / Views: 1,003 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1028 Posts |
So, I sold a coin on ebay over a month ago, not hugely valuable, but about $60. I pay for tracking with signature, it is delivered to a person (not left anywhere) and I receive positive feedback for the transaction. Name of the signee matches the name of the person who bought the coin. Overnight, I received an email from ebay saying the buyer has disputed the charge with his credit card company saying it is an unknown transaction. In looking at the feedback for the buyer, he had almost 50 transactions with mostly (if not all) coin sellers on ebay. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so, what was the outcome? ebay has said they have refuted the claim, but who knows what they do in these situations. I don't have much confidence in seller protection anymore now that PayPal is out of the picture. Thoughts?
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
4510 Posts |
The credit card company is the decision maker on the claim. If the credit card company finds in the buyers favor, the credit card company will issue you a chargeback. You will most likely not get the coin back unless the buyer decides to return the coin. I am not aware of any protection that ebay offers on chargebacks. The good news for you is that you can show tracking delivery with a signature on a unknown transaction dispute, and the credit card may find in your favor.
Edited by Slider23 06/08/2022 1:00 pm
|
|
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts |
I would politely reach out to the buyer first. It is possible that they saw the charge on their CC statement but forgot that they made this purchase or thought that they were disputing something else. That might be all it takes for them to remember and drop the claim. Be aware that ebay will charge you $20 on top of your loss if you fight it out and the credit card company sides with the buyer, which in my opinion is an almost certainty despite the facts.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
944 Posts |
USPS hasn't honored signature confirmation since Covid began. The mail carrier basically just signs the persons name.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
701 Posts |
Scammers have lost their minds.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
1028 Posts |
I get the fact that USPS hasn't honored their signature stuff since Covid, but I was left Positive feedback for this!!! If that's not proof that this was a legitimate sale, I don't know what is.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
1028 Posts |
BTW....here is what I sent the buyer this morning....
Hi, I just received notification that you disputed this charge directly with your credit card. I'm assuming that you did receive this coin (delivered May 7th) as it was mailed to your address associated with your account. Even if the coin was ordered unintentionally or accidentally, you have a legal responsibility to return it. Please let me know what you want to do here. Thanks,
|
|
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts |
I'll correct what I said earlier as ebay actually states the following regarding unknown transaction chargebacks: "If ebay determines that the item was successfully delivered or picked up: We will not seek reimbursement from the seller for the disputed amount, even if the payment institution decides that the buyer is owed a refund; and We will waive or refund the seller's dispute fee" If the buyer doesn't reply, I would go ahead and dispute the chargeback. It is likely then at some point you will be notified that the credit card company has found in the buyers favor, but regardless ebay will reimburse you the $60 and also not charge the $20 dispute fee. You should be ok here as long as the tracking shows delivered to the buyers confirmed address.
|
| |
Replies: 7 / Views: 1,003 |
|