|
This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!
To participate in the forum you must log in or register. | Author |
Replies: 7 / Views: 6,733 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts |
New to coin collecting but have quite allot of modern coins. See SGS on ebay and have purchased only two sets of coins from them all graded MS70 Luckily I have not spent much for these two sets only less than $40.00 for both. I was thinking WOW how can they have so many seems like thousands of MS70 and PR70 coins something is not right here. So looked at there store and see page after page of MS70 and PR70 coins something is fishy. Now I am no expert and these are the 1st graded coins I have ever bought just 10 State Quarters MS coins all ten MS70 have not received them yet but will check them out when I get them. Anyway seems to me like people maybe should be a little careful about SGS as they seem to have way to many 70 graded coins?
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts |
You're very perceptive, Bruce. They do have WAY too many 70s. I won't buy any of their slabbed coins.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14454 Posts |
SGS is a backyard slabber that a dealer just places his own inventory into plastic cases and places a grade on it and sells it to unsuspecting collectors. Just do a search on this forum or on google and you should be able to get enough information about them to know not to trust their grades, I am not saying don't buy them because if the price is right and you know how to grade and you can purchase it on your grading not theirs then go for it but never ever trust their grading
|
|
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts |
If the price is still good I'll go ahead and make a bid on there slabs, however if I win the auction and when I get the slab since SGS slabs are easy to break the coin out of thats what I do and send the coin to one of the top 4 grading companies. I just sent some and wrote down what SGC graded them and it will be interesting to see what NGC and PCGS gives the grade (I sent a couple to each of them) I'm willing to bet my paycheck that it wont be PF70 or MS70 lol.
|
|
Rest in Peace
United States
2684 Posts |
Bruce, welcome to the forum! There's a wealth of knowledge among the members and all are willing to share with others. The others have already made their comments regarding SGS. I wish ALL ebay coin buyers (and Overstock.com since Aboncom who is the SGS slabber is also selling there) had your insight and suspicions which led you to post your observations. Unfortunately, many or most do not and take SGS at face value. Possibly more often than not, they don't figure it out until many months or years (if ever) down the road when they or their heirs try to sell the SGS slab and get laughed out of the coin shop or told by an appraiser that their coin is worth only a tiny fraction of what they thought it was. I was an informal appraiser for a number of years and found it very depressing to advise people who thought they had investment coins that proved to be of low or no significant value. In one instance, I had to tell a young lady that her legacy California Gold coin was not only a copy, but only a copper plated copy at that. SGS is barely on the legal side of fraud when he misrepresents his coins to such a degree. One of these days, he's gonna cheat the wrong person and learn that orange jumpsuits look terrible on him.  Until then, it's  Fred
|
|
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts |
Fred this is interesting info about SGS (Star Grading Service)and about Abon. http://www.stargrading.org/ If you look at the bottom of the page there is the company called Star Grading38 Church Street Bellville, OH 44813 When I searched Star Grading in Ohio the Below was found in conjunction. Advanced Grading Services, visit its web site at http://www.advancedgrading.com/news.htm or call toll-free 1-877-943-7401. Advanced Grading Specialists, Inc.P. O. Box 299 Findlay, Ohio, 45839 ALSO Advanced Grading Specialists, Inc.PO BOX 701943 St. Cloud, Fl 34770-1943 Main DistributerRichard Howard, Inc. 128 E. Main Street Leipsic, Ohio 45856 Toll-free 1-800-457-9974 DistributerABON CARDS & COINS LTD115 Park Ave. West Mansfield, Ohio 44902 Phone: 419 522 5346, Fax: 419 522 6379 http://www.abon.com Email: steven@abon.com call toll-free: 800-545-4951 Sells: Trading cards, sports memorabilia, sci-fi etc DistributerOhio Coin & Investments1628 E. Main Street Springfield, OH 45503 call toll-free: 800-592-3220
|
|
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts |
Larry Bence is the owner and president of Abon Cards and Coins. He has been supplying retail stores with collectible cards and coins for over 20 years. His firm is a major user of ebay and his 100,000 square-foot warehouse provides ample space for his online business inventory. Seems Advanced Grading Specialists, Inc. is connected to the hip . http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Benc...2595874.aspx
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17884 Posts |
I don't know about Advanced Grading Specialists, the name doesn't ring a bell, but Advanced Grading Services does. Back in 2001 AGS(ervices) graded both cards and coins. Howards Direct was the primary distributor. By 2003 AGS had gotten out of the coin grading market and now only grades sports cards and I believe other sports memerobilia. It is possible that Advanced Grading Specialists is the same way, only grading sportscards with SGS being the coin grading part of the organization. By the way, Howards Direct has been the primary distributor for at least three, possibly four third tier grading services, and recent began their own grading service.
|
| |
Replies: 7 / Views: 6,733 |
|
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

- 1860 Wm Token Miller Ny-491A, George H. Lovett, PCGS MS-64
- 1969 S Lincoln Cent Mint Mark
- 1994-D 1¢ Poorly Aligned Mint Mark
- 1958 Lincoln Cent DDO?
- 1962-Mo Mexico Cinco De Mayo Centennial Gold Medal, PCGS MS-67
- 1952 3 Pence Coin, Or Necklace Charm?
- Commems Collection Classic: 1935-36 California-Pacific International Exposition - Historical Tidbits
- 1817/6 15 Star Large Cent.what?
- 1958 Roosevelt Dime Spike Head Die Crack And Mis-Aligned Die Clash(?)
- Most Humorous Counterfeit 1914-D Lincoln Cent On Ebay This Week
- 1974 Fiji 100 Dollars Gold Proof, King Cakobau, Elizabeth II
- 1961-D Toned Roosevelt Dime Fridb Around Mouth
- 1839 Braided Hair (Booby Head) Large Cent, CAC AU-58BN
- 1918 Illinois Centennial (Lincoln) Half Dollar Commemorative, PCGS MS-68+
- 1950-S Roosevelt Dime RPM
- 1966 Nickel Die Adjustment Strike?
- Will Our Coins Ever Be Valuable?
- 2026 Emerging Liberty Dime Spider Veins?
- Charles I Sixpence - Unattributed Sun Mintmark?
- Error Opinions, 1971-D DDO, 1955-D/S, 1996-P Quarter
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
|
| Coin Community Forum |
© 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums |
| It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. |
 |
|
| |
| |