Does anyone ever collect varieties in the grooves on the edge of $1 and $2 such as where it lines up with the writing? Or are these assigned at random and so not worth collecting?
G'day, I thought I read somewhere, perhaps in relation to the 2001 $1 rotated die varieties, that the collar that puts the grooves in, was in a fixed relationship to the non-moving die, which is the reverse side of the coin. Perhaps I'm mis-remembering.
I look forward to an answer from someone versed in the technicalities at RAM.
I imagine that variations will only be discernible in the coins with interrupted reeding ...
The milling/reeding on the edge is in a random position. The collar die gets locked into position and most of the time stays put so on coins like the federation coins where it hasn't moved it can be used to identify what die has rotated. Sometimes the collar die can move, usually after a collar clash or 2. This is when one of the dies wanders and hits the collar die. Some coins with the exact same error can be found to have a rotated collar die, these ones I have collected myself.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use