| Author |
Replies: 7 / Views: 1,002 |
|
|
New Member
United States
27 Posts |
Hello, I am assisting my aunt go through my uncles large collection of coins specifically US cents. I am new to coins but trying to learn about the different kinds of errors, my uncle labeled his "oddities" within numerous rolls. I have seen hundreds of die chip errors, blobs, Strike Doubling, damage, lamination, and numerous others which I am having trouble categorizing or identifying. Hoping this forum can help, first is a 1967 with what looks like a divot under the date, possibly a planchet or laminating error? Second 1946 with what appears to be PMD on the front but interesting "puddling" on the reverse. Any thoughts? Thanks, Dave    
|
|
|
|
Moderator
 United States
34553 Posts |
@PAC, first welcome to CCF. Second, it sounds like you are having fun going through these coins looking at the various mint errors. For the second coin that you posted (the '46D), I think that whoever made those wide gouges on the front of the coin (perhaps with a hammer and chisel or flathead screwdriver), "smushed" the metal on the back. Subsequently, this extra metal was flattened out on the reverse leaving what appears to be those puddles of metal.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push." -----Ghanaian proverb
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed." -----King Adz
Edited by Spence 06/22/2019 3:12 pm
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79149 Posts |
The first coin shows an Over Polished die issue.
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
New Member
 United States
27 Posts |
Thank you Spence and E&V for your responses. I don't doubt what ever caused the obverse damage on the 46 caused some of the puddling on the reverse, however I noticed the "puddling" in an area where no damage existed on the reverse, could this be possible?
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
62064 Posts |
As mentioned the first coin is an over polishing issue to remove clash lines, but also MD on the '6'. The other is PSD. (Post-Strike-Damage) No premium for either coin. The 1946 is a Wheat cent. The 1967 is a spender.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
195723 Posts |
 to the Community!
|
|
New Member
 United States
27 Posts |
Thank you everyone for your responses!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2624 Posts |
 Nice photos. Please post more of what you find.
|
| |
Replies: 7 / Views: 1,002 |
|