I have an opportunity to purchase a 1921 SLQ in VF+ condition at a very reasonable price (mayyyyyybe). The coin has a rim Cud which incorporates the right portion of the "1" in 1921 and continue to the rim (duh). Does this substantially affect the value of the coin? Help please! Paleoguy
Can't say I'm sure what I'm seeing there, but for my money it's post-mint damage and not a rim Cud. If it's a Cud, it's a Cud which has been affected by post-mint damage. Note the large impact mark near the initial; I suspect that impact threw metal towards the date. It's far too flat (machined-flat, to the eye) to be "just" a Cud.
Judging from the looks of the opposite reverse rim, this happened while the coin was laying in the road.
Consider the price is less than half of market for the grade. And look elsewhere.
I agree with the others that this is PMD and not something that would add value at all, it would definitely take value away from the coin though. Its really according to how much of a great deal you are going to get and how bad you want the coin I guess to if its worth it or not. Just be aware a problem coin doesn't have as much value as a problem free version of the same date no matter how rare the coin is
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use