| Author |
Replies: 31 / Views: 669 |
|
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108016 Posts |
thanks jbuck 
|
|
New Member
United States
41 Posts |
Quote: I found a seller that looked like he was dumping his collection, and each set that I needed cost me on average about $160.00 and had every one I needed, so I bought them all AWESOME! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing the images. Me being the resident dummy, what is a Souvenir Set?
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196466 Posts |
Quote: Me being the resident dummy, what is a Souvenir Set? Sets sold at the Mint gift shop. They have the coins minted in the location of the shop, so Denver or Philly.
|
|
New Member
United States
41 Posts |
Thanks! 
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
18942 Posts |
Great sets, Dearborn and congratulations on your achievement!  The only USA Souvenir Set I have is a 1977 Philadelphia one that I picked up several years ago in a British dealer's junk bin - I think it cost me one pound!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5296 Posts |
Here is a question from Canada: How do these sets differ from the regular mint sets? I've seen plenty of the regular ones.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196466 Posts |
Quote: How do these sets differ from the regular mint sets? I've seen plenty of the regular ones. Souvenir coins come from the regular production line at just one mint. The full uncirculated mint sets have coins from both mints. They are made on different presses that run at a lower speed and higher pressure. They also get better handling.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5296 Posts |
Thanks. That's useful to know if I ever see one being sold for very little.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
9915 Posts |
What did you do win a lottery  , these sets and all the world coins plus the US ones . Congrats on ALL you purchases.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts |
Quote: I think that there is still a 1981 set for the dollars I need to get Yes sir, there is a 1981 SBA 3 coin souvenir set. (The 1999 P/D coins were included in the uncirculated mint set.)
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108016 Posts |
Quote: Here is a question from Canada: How do these sets differ from the regular mint sets? I've seen plenty of the regular ones. Quote: Souvenir coins come from the regular production line at just one mint.
The full uncirculated mint sets have coins from both mints. They are made on different presses that run at a lower speed and higher pressure. They also get better handling. Also the Souvenir sets nave a larger brass token depicting the mint it came from and is located in the bottom row center spot, while the older uncirculated sets will have a small brass or plastic token in the top right corner, and will usually have a red or blue strip indicating the mint as well Denver "Uncirculated" set Denver "Souvenir" set
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108016 Posts |
Quote:What did you do win a lottery  , these sets and all the world coins plus the US ones . Congrats on ALL you purchases. I wish, I have been looking for the final 7 sets for years now, occasionally looking to see if any are coming up for sale 2 years ago, these 7 final Philly sets were selling for 500 and above EACH. I got lucky and searched at the right moment and saw all 7 that I needed with an average cost of $160.00 each. Quote:Yes sir, there is a 1981 SBA 3 coin souvenir set. (The 1999 P/D coins were included in the uncirculated mint set.) Yep, I sent and looked and found them (2 sets for each and the main difference is the envelope and the colors of them. Also found the Bicentennial souvenir set too (yes, I bought all of them.)  The 1979 3 coin set was also produced for the SBA dollar. (see my firs set of images at the top.)
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20057 Posts |
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108016 Posts |
Thank you Thad - I think this is why I went after it, a collection where the sets were bought directly from each mint. (not by me but initially)
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3591 Posts |
Congratulations Dearborn!
|
| |
Replies: 31 / Views: 669 |