Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Coin Inspection Tools And Processes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 323Next Topic  
New Member

United States
5 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   1:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gwholdings to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I am looking for some collective assistance from our community for suggestions on a coin inspection tray that I am developing. I have a prototype made and I am really looking for feedback on usefulness and interest in something like this to assist with coin searching. Suggestions / comments / feedback whatever it is...

I've attached an image and would love to get the conversation started.
Coin-Inspection-Tools-And-Processes
Coin-Inspection-Tools-And-Processes
New Member
United States
5 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gwholdings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To provide a little context; the tray is intended to allow us to line up coins side by side to view under a microscope so we do not have to do it one-by-one. Plus allows for loading and storing until we can get back to it. Two trays are in the setup so one fits on top of the other to let you flip the tray over to see the reverse and immediately see rotated dies.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196556 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Vector Ze's Avatar
United States
657 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   4:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Vector Ze's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Vector Ze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a slick looking tool.
I don't know if you just wanted feedback on that, or if you were inviting other "processes". I'll gamble, and show you something I've been using for decades, and is a big help when it comes to sorting bulk coins.
It was made for me by a woodworking co-worker, and resembles a five-tier test tube rack made of wood. Under each row of tubes, there is a strip that prevents a loose tube from falling through.
The holes are sized to fit 5¢ round coin tubes, so they can be used for Cents, Nickels, or Dimes. I change the Avery labels depending on the project at hand.
Coin-Inspection-Tools-And-Processes
It could stand to be cleaned up a bit.
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196556 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll gamble, and show you something I've been using for decades, and is a big help when it comes to sorting bulk coins.
Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
ijn1944's Avatar
United States
19627 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Organization on steroids--cool!
Pillar of the Community
Brandmeister's Avatar
United States
6906 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   5:09 pm  Show Profile   Check Brandmeister's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Brandmeister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will offer my thoughts as a coin roll hunter of Jefferson nickels.

My immediate reaction is a question: where do the lights, scope, and fingers go? Inspecting large numbers of coins at once generally requires moving the light source and scope around, and also rotating the coin relative to the light. Is your plan to move the equipment or move your trays?

How would you move the coins around a fitted tray without putting fingerprints on the faces? Normally, I try to handle nice coins by the edge. Assuming the tray is used for screening, how easy is it to pluck a coin out and set it aside for thorough inspection?

How easy is it to drop coins into the trays, versus just a cardboard sheet? Your pictures show the coins as all oriented the same way, but that takes handling. How easy is it to drop them in quickly and then rotate them the same way? For example, I examine all modern nickel reverses at a 150 degree rotation, with the light coming straight across, about an inch off the table.

I do like that the coins could (theoretically) be flipped all at once.

Are the coins dropped directly from a roll, or do you envision a pre-sort process?

How do you remove the coins when done?

This seems like a situation where a usage video would help to demonstrate your concept.
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79608 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! This is very cool! This could be very useful for CRH's. Is there any chance you can make a video on how this would work?
Errers and Varietys.
New Member
United States
33 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PhilpotDMF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gwholdings - First welcome to the Community!

The setup looks good for naked eye review and magnifying glass.

Using a loop my be a little daunting.

I agree with Brandmeister, I do a lot of review with a microscope with camera. How can one be adapted to your setup?

New Member
United States
5 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gwholdings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone commenting. I will have some videos up tomorrow of the trays in use. Here is the basic setup I have along with how its used with the microscope.
@Brandmaster - I will show the loading and unloading in the video clips . These are the prototypes and I am working on a final design now that has finger slides to take out each coin individually for the ones that are keepers, otherwise you can just dump the throw backs out by turning the tray over.
Coin-Inspection-Tools-And-Processes
Coin-Inspection-Tools-And-Processes
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
-makecents-'s Avatar
United States
9019 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:09 pm  Show Profile   Check -makecents-'s eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice concept but would have to agree with Brand. A video of how it's loaded and viewed with your setup would be great. For what I search for, which covers many things, requires being able to manipulate the coin direction with lighting, which you may overlook being in a fixed place/area. I suppose what you are searching for this may be great but do not see it for me so far.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Greasy Fingers's Avatar
United States
7363 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New Member
United States
33 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PhilpotDMF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those pics helped alot. So you can position the coins in the tray take say 4 pics of 4 coins and easily split your screen and compare 4 coins and easily determine is there are differences. Looking better all the time.
New Member
United States
5 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 29M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gwholdings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone and here is the video with me using it. As far as tilting to get different angles, I thought of that and the tray uses a seat and cradle approach where the coin sits easily in the seat and there is a secondary cradle that is half the depth of the coin. so it sits securely in that cradle. Not clipped in but well seated. So for tilting and seeing different angles, no problem. The coins will stay put with or without the second tray. If you want to flip it and keep the coins in place you need the second tray. I will put up a few more videos once I have them for various situations as you have all mentioned.

Alignment is manual and I arrange the coins as I am putting them in. The tray does allow for rotating the coin manually once its in. Again I will post some videos of various ways to load the tray.

....actually I cannot upload videos directly so I will post them on youtube and update with the links.

*** Edited by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
New Member
United States
5 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 32M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gwholdings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79608 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 8M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw the videos. It ended up working pretty well!
Errers and Varietys.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Forums