Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

ID Help With Ancient Egyptian? Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 3,666Next Topic  
Forum Mom
Learn More...
Susanlynn9's Avatar
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2007  12:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
These are the best pics I have so far. I don't have the coin in my hands yet. The eagle looks Egyptian to me, possibly Ptolemy? Any help is appreciated.

ID-Help-With-Ancient-Egyptian?-Coin
ID-Help-With-Ancient-Egyptian?-Coin
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2007  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure which Ptolemy, looks like a tetradrachme of Ptolemy VIII. SAP would probably have a better idea as to which one it is. Very nice coin.

Ron
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
t360's Avatar
United States
2703 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2007  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the reverse legend (reading from 12:00), TYPOY IEPASigma; KAI ASigma;YLambda;OY, I would say it is a silver tetradrachm (shekel of Tyre) from Phoenicia (in current day Lebanon), stuck about 100 BC. On the obverse is the laureate bust of Melqarth, wearing a lion's skin knotted at the neck. On the reverse is an eagle standing left on the beak of a ship. In the left field is a club and date monogram, and there is another monogram in the right field. Here is a similar coin http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/incit...Product=5947
Forum Mom
Learn More...
Susanlynn9's Avatar
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2007  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Does it appear to be authentic to you?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
t360's Avatar
United States
2703 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2007  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a reproduction with the same monograms as yours on the reverse
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fa...m=10&pos=502
The flan on yours looks rather large, flat and regular compared to most of the examples I have seen.
I would examine it carefully, since it could be a reproduction as well.
Forum Mom
Learn More...
Susanlynn9's Avatar
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2007  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That pic looks an awful lot like the one I have coming. I think it may be a reproduction. There was something about it that seemed wrong to me in the pics initially, but I'm not familiar enough with ancients so I couldn't put my finger on it.

The spacing of the letters all looks identical between the pic you posted and the pic I posted. I think there may be too many similarities. We'll see. I'll post more pics when I get the coin in-hand.
Moderator
Learn More...
Sap's Avatar
Australia
17005 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2007  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
URLs for FORVM's fake gallery can change; t360's link doesn't point to a Tyrian coin for me. I think this is a permanent link to a fake coin very similar to this one.

This one worries me because it seems to have a seam line running around the coin, at the bottom of the obverse and the top of the reverse.

Tyrian shekels are often marketed as "thirty pieces of silver" coins; thus, they're a popular target for both tourist fakes and forgeries aimed at collectors.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Forum Mom
Learn More...
Susanlynn9's Avatar
United States
5877 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2007  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sap. That's the coin the link went to when I checked it.

I am concerned also. This is a coin that I would be selling for someone if were to be real. I'll have a better idea once I have the coin in-hand and can take sharper pics.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 3,666Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums