Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ten Dollar Star Note Worth Keeping?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  4:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cinemabon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this "star" $10 note in change from the bank yesterday, but the front (obverse? I don't usually collect paper) is defaced with a stamp in permanent black ink (unaffected by water or alcohol). One - is it worth it to save? Two - can the black ink be safely removed if the answer to the first question is yes?

I obscured parts of the note with paper. I wasn't certain how much of a note I should reveal in a public forum.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd keep it, but then I collect odd things that are not necessarily worth much.

I have no idea about removing the ink and I don't think I would even try out of fear of ruining it.

I'm no expert, but if it has an interesting serial number and the star...well you have something then.

You should shop around on the sites that sell notes and see what they're selling and what they're going for. But I don't think that a star note is worth more than about 10% over face value.
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cinemabon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your info. I went to this collector's website: http://mycurrencycollection.com/reference/stars/ From what I gathered, my "run" was less than 640,000, which makes the note more valuable. However, I do not know how much the ink stain will devalue the bill. I will keep it nonetheless and add it to my vault. Thanks for your help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1307 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I obscured parts of the note with paper. I wasn't certain how much of a note I should reveal in a public forum.

Essentially, if it's not the Where's George forums, go ahead and show the whole note

And yes, a run of less than 640,000 is *very* good..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2011  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaning notes, like coins, is frowned upon. There are those that do it for a living. No reputable dealer would want to buy/sell a cleaned note or do business with someone who cleans them.

Generally the way a "note doctor" works is they buy a note graded/slabbed then open it up, clean it, and then sell it as a higher grade to an unsuspecting person. Any alteration (cleaning, ironing, starching, coloring, etc.) is a bad thing.

*Edit* Hey currency collectors! Be sure to check out my contest mentioned in my signature!
Edited by Nickelman
10/23/2011 11:47 am
Pillar of the Community
656 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2011  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nic ewheresgeorge refrence I happen to be a member of wheres george. it is a fun website. are you a member?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05