Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Prime Minister Coin Series?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,927Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
567 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2011  11:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpaiva83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I did a Mint survey a few months ago. One of the questions dealt about having a coin series about the 22+ Prime Ministers of Canada. I just wanted to add my Two Cents.

First off, it sounds a little bit like the US presidential quarter series, but I was thinking of ways to make it much nicer.

My idea is to make the coins, similar in look & style to the price Harry, William & Charles coins. A nice face picture and ultra-high relief. Of course, make them out of silver! 99.99%, not sterling.

There are suppose to be 22 of them and distributed over 5 years, so perhaps a subscription offer, one coin every three months or so.

Throw in a nice display box for the 22 coins, perhaps a space or two for whomever might be the next prime minister(s).

I can't wait to get my very own Kim Campbell coin. She was a Prime Minister after all even if she was there for only 132 days. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2374 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a series about prime ministers is not a bad idea. Not sure if this will be popular though... politics in general is not very appealing to many people.

For now, we have the queen...

Valued Member
Canada
322 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Koin Hunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C_C what # did you get...I got 6231...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8855 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another super photo c_c ,I'd rather have a collection of your photos than the coins they depict
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8855 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A series of 22 Prime ministers! Disgusting.
Of the 22,seven were never elected,and 2 never even served one day in Parliament as Prime minister.
Half of them have served within my lifetime,and the majority of those should never appear again as a reminder of their ineptitude.
If the Mint should ever sink this low in order to increase sales I'll never buy an NCLT coin again and no more maples for bullion.
Just the thought of Kim Campbell on a coin makes me ........
Pillar of the Community
United States
2374 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2011  12:21 am  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM Thanks for your good comment. Honestly, the frost is (yet again) too heavy. The mint has to tone it down. Do I hear an echo?

KH, mine is #830. No logic in numbers since I got it very recently.
Valued Member
Canada
451 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2011  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lithanial to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It isn't the sort of thing I would collect other than circulating quarters just to keep filling my collection in that regards. But I wouldn't buy any of the NCLT's.

Now, if they had a coin on how Diefenbaker destroyed the Arrow project, I might get that coin.

A Mulroney coin with GST written on it.

John A. Macdonald drinking a beer.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
567 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2011  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpaiva83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ DBM, would it really be so bad? A limited mintage of maybe 1000, not to expensive, maybe $ 100 max per coin. A nice collector's box. For good or bad, they are part of our history.

The quarter idea does hold some merit as well, or we can just copy the US mint and make them all loonies.
hmmm "loonies", perhaps the name does sound fitting after all.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1502 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2011  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now, if they had a coin on how Diefenbaker destroyed the Arrow project, I might get that coin.
A Mulroney coin with GST written on it.
John A. Macdonald drinking a beer.

We should start a private mint like the one they've got on Lasqueti Island :)

The numbers of NCLT the RCM is churning out is dizzying. A few friends that just got into collecting over the past year or so are overwhelmed already. My suggestion is to pick a theme that you are interested in and stick with that, since it's getting harder and harder to just collect whatever comes out of the mill and have the collections to make any sense at all.

Can't say if I'm happy or not though about the multiple issues. It used to be that i'd have to wait a year + for something I like to come along. Now, if nothing tickles my fancy just wait a few months and a whole Other collection pops up. What this will do to the collecting scene I cannot predict, since the RCM is at least keeping the mintages low (do realize that to keep the mintages low and make the same profit, you'd have to up the designs).

Sticking to more or less reasonably priced silver and gold issues. At the very least there'll be the PM's value to fall back on.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
567 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpaiva83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd rather they release the coins slowly. If they did all 22 at once, it would be over $ 2200 in one big shot. I can handle $ 100 every three/four months over five years. $ 2200+ at once, not so much.

Of course, there is no guarantee that this coin series will ever be made.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3691 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2011  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not skip all of them and go straight to Diefenbaker? Or put them on the new polymer as a $5 bill a la Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

That, and I want to see Jean Chretien on a PROOF coin with his famous quote engraved in gold: "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
Edited by Libertad
10/31/2011 5:32 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,927Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: