Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Tale Of Woe

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 4,077Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  2:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up a nice PL 1921 from Ebay. Definitely original, definitely Prooflike, with the extensive die polishing typical of Prooflike 1921's.

But wait. What's that spot by the U in UNUM?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So, here will be a study in the effects of acetone on PVC damage. More to come, once the process is done. For the record, here's how I do it:

Coin is in a shot glass, submersed in acetone. Second glass inverted over top to prevent evaporation. Inches from an open window, in a....place where there is no potential source of ignition.

This was a small but well-seated PVC infestation. I'm going to leave this soak for about 2 hours, change the acetone and give it a couple more. We should see the results this evening.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Interested to see how it goes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add delaner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
crossing my fingers!
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Waiting and watching.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck!
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, in the second bath now. The results of the first looked quite promising to the unmagnified eye.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to the results!
Learn More...
United States
87581 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There is no party like a SuperDave photo-documented experiment party.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like popcorn
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
<-- Too much popcorn..
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the acetone will take care of it. Good luck!
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Watching all this popcorn made me hungry, so I had to go out and get a hoagie. Soon as I'm done eating, I'll pop the coin out and shoot some images.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Inches from an open window, in a crappy place where there is no potential source of ignition.

Thought you could slip a terlet shot past us, did you?
Edited by biggfredd
12/23/2011 03:50 am
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2011  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Any questions?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 4,077Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05