Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Clipped" Planchet Errors => Valuable?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  6:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
"Clipped" planchet error coins => are they valuable?

Ummmm, sure, maybe they're not as valuable as a coin struck on the incorrect planchet, or even as vauable as a broadstruck coin, but are these clipped planchet coins valuable?

thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really, the only real valuable ones I've seen are the confirmed multiples. (multiple clips).

But in an open auction you never know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4143 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15900 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would pay in the $10 to $50 range for a clipped planchet. There would need to be some other additional factor involved for me to pay more, such as a silver coin in superior grade.

With the exception of a single coin, all of my clipped planchet errors are in base metals.
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysterious_dr_x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's worth at least a few bucks, so it's always nice to find one. But usually, the bigger the clip and the bigger the denomination, the better.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ... I bought six clipped pennies at an auction for $35 (then afterwards, I wondered if I'd merely purchased six cents worth of damaged pennies) ...

So I'm glad to hear that at least they're worth a few bucks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well there's thing, for 35 bucks you can get hours of amusement just looking at them and seeing how the clip affects the rest of the coin. If I drive to the nearest movie theatre (which I do) 35 bucks doesn't even cover the gas never mind tickets and popcorn.

So, where's the great pics?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any of my auction spoils, yet => but if they're purdy-enough, I'll try to post some pics, but if they suck, then I'll merely pretend that they didn't show-up (deal?)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
662 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to a price guide for Canadian curved clips. I was surprised to find it when I stumbled across it on Pat Glassford's site a while ago. Kinda neat:

http://www.coinscan.com/mintingvari...t/clipp.html
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Scissel => that is a useful chart
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2014  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am an avid collector of clipped canadian coins, I am extremely fascinated with everything to do with clipped planchets and their origin, I am always looking for clipped canadian coins of any denomination. Thanks scissel also I learned a lot!
Learn More...
Canada
8612 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2014  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the planchet.... and depends on the context...

This one is quite valuable... I found the matching triple clip of this blank planchet.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
09/01/2014 8:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7632 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2014  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pair! How did they determine it's a 1982 planchet ?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
09/01/2014 10:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1543 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2014  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just interjecting here.....but collecting date sets of clips coins is an interesting project.

I am sure it is harder for larger denominations (due to lower mintages), but I am now nearly complete on cents from George Vi up to the middie of Elizabeth. George V clips seem to be very tough to find as are later Elizabeth clips.
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2014  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey small cent guy, let me know when you want to sell them! drooling! wow! I have recently started up a collection, it is very tough, let me know if you want to get rid of any of your doubles! thanks for sharing sherwood park pennies! you are the man with the coin!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1543 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2014  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry not for sale.

Been working for maybe 10 years at it now,,,,will take a while I think.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05