Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1922 Grant W/ Star

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,713Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  4:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Next up is one of the varieties of my 55-piece Type and Variety Set, the 1922 Grant with Star in PCGS MS-65.

I had been looking for a nice one of these for more than a year when I spotted what appeared to be a good one in the case of a dealer I often frequented as I upgraded my set; I was at the large Baltimore show. I asked to see it and could tell right away that it was a cut above those I had examined in the past. The asking price was also a cut above the typical MS-65 Grant w/ Star, but I was still 90% sure that I wanted to add it to my collection -- sometimes the bargain is the opportunity -- I just needed a little time to convince myself! So, I asked him to hold the coin for me for an hour or so as I headed out to meet up with some friends for lunch.

Read More: Commems Collection

It was a good thing I asked the dealer to hold the Grant, as while I was gone a dealer and another collector who had each looked at the coin before me had come back to the dealer's table to purchase the coin. I learned a good lesson that day, if you recognize a coin as special, pull the trigger (if you can afford it) as it will always be in demand!

The 1922 Grant was designed by Laura Gardin Fraser, one of my favorite artists/sculptors; I have a number of medals that she also designed and there isn't a "dog" in the lot!

With a mintage of just 4,256 coins, this one is the key to my personal set (thanks to me adding the varieties to my Type Set!).

Enjoy!

1922 Grant w/ Star -- Obverse

1922 Grant w/ Star -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6354 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2935 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I yield to the power...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous coin; has that "made ten minutes ago" look. Super purchase!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9750 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweeeeeet!
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just gorgeous!
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys, I am new here and was wondering if anyone knew of a good website to order some old commens like this one. I love a lot of the old designs but in my searches, while brief, the only ones I seem to be able to find are priced at quite the premium. Unfortunately there arent really any coin shops where I live either to go check out just the occasional stand at the gun shows but they mostly just have ASEs and Morgans
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
basebal21: Welcome to the world of commemorative collecting! It might be helpful before you purchase any coins online to visit a coin show within an hour or two of where you live to check out a nice variety of commemorative coins and do some comparison shopping. As with almost all coins, the quality and eye appeal of commemorative coins varies greatly within each issue and it is hard to know how "premium" a coin is if you don't have a good basis for comparison.

I certainly understand your apprehension regarding "premium prices" that you are seeing on the websites you've visited. It's possible that the coins offered are better than the average for their issue. If that's the case, a premium price is to be expected. From my experience, "premium coins" and bargain prices do not generally go together.

Good luck with your set, CCF is a great place to ask questions and learn!
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems thanks for the welcome.

I should have explained when I was referring to premiums I was meaning to say as a premium over their listed values on sites like the numismedia price guide. I know the coins will cost me a pretty penny because of their age and just because of how I'm having to buy them I will only buy certified coins from one of the big 3 graders. I guess my issue would be I dont want to pay 400 for a coin worth 250 for example.

I get what I can right from the mint and have used provident metals for some others which I have never had a problem with even for raw coins, but unfortunately their older collection is extremely limited to say the least.

I am happy to report though that I did find a coin show not to far away coming in april. Now just fingers crossed someone there has what I'm looking for lol
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO the best coin you've show so far commems ... absolutely gorgeous and as a kindred-fan of the set I'll state for all that your 1922 Grant Star example is a coin I hope to someday find and own with exactly the surfaces and visual appeal you show here.

Interesting to note that this coin was in fact an 'accident' ... the commission did not order them .. and they were a surprise when they showed up ... following on the heels of the 1921 Alabama 2x2 and the 1921 Missouri 2x4 ... this coin proved to be another way to separate the collector of the day from their money.

Today in 2012 we seem to have forgiven (or forgot) the shenanigans of the prior era ... and your lovely Grant with Star is a fine reminder of the times.

Quote:
was wondering if anyone knew of a good website to order some old commens like this one

I second the welcome basebal21 ... and caution that these classic silver commemorative coins are deserving of some research and hands-on looks before you dive into them.

Purchase a good book ... read all you can ... see the coins in hand ... and decide how to proceed that is best for you.

You can spend a lot of money chasing this set ... the OP coin shown in this thread is arguably a $7K coin ... so tread carefully until you gain some knowledge.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickel thanks for the welcome. The coin show here is certainly an expensive one and in my opinion is worth every penny.

I know these early ones will certainly cost a pretty penny and would much prefer to see them in person before a purchase is made, but in my area we dont have any coin shops and only the occasional coin shows where I am at the mercy of their stock.

Am I wrong to assume that for internet ordering its safer to just stick to coins slabbed by PCGS/NGC or maybe anacs in an effort to avoid both fakes and paying for a coin that would grade much lower than listed?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty awesome coin with such a low mintage too!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,713Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05