Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1892 Columbian Exposition

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,106Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  3:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today we have a look at the commemorative half-dollar that started it all, the 1892 Columbian Exposition 50-cent piece, here in PCGS MS-65.

Authorized by the US Congress as a "souvenir coin" to help raise funds for the staging of the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, the coin was the first in what would become a long-line of 60 different types of US silver and gold commemorative coins.

Read More: Commems Collection

With a mintage of 950,000, the coin is easy to locate in AU and MS-60 through MS-63 (and quite inexpensive -- the history alone should be worth more!). It gets a bit tougher in MS-64 and noticeably more so in MS-65 if you are looking for coins with nice luster and without blotchy, brown toning and/or a flat dull look. The coin presented here has nice cartwheel luster on the obverse and reverse without any major marks that draw your eye. A bit of rim toning suggests this one has been undisturbed (as least for quite some time).

Charles Barber created the obverse with George Morgan providing the reverse.

Enjoy!

1892 Columbian - Obverse

1892 Columbian - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

I absolutely love the rim toning on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9750 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Talk about major eye appeal!
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1347 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin, commems!
Your threads about commemoratives have been great fun, thanks very much!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6354 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another strong example of the first commemorative from America. With a great design and ample supply this is a coin most collectors can acquire in lower grades. Thanks for showing your pristine example.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Super nice! Wish mine looked like that. Mine has that crappy brown tone to it but is otherwise a good AU-MS60.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back from 4-days of emerald mining vacation ... catching up in my favorite forum ... apologize for the late replies ...

Outstanding looking example of the coin that started the USA classic commemorative series ... and another great contribution by commems.

My personal aesthetic leans towards less toning ... but I can certainly be a fan of the lovely rim toning on this fine coin ... a very choice example indeed.

I have an upgrade on the way for my 1892 Columbian Half ... hoping to share it shortly.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsearcher: Emerald mining? Sounds interesting! Successful?

I look forward to seeing your Columbian!
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has a nice halo of toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
558 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2012  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StJoeBlues to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin! I love that toning.

They also made Columbus commemorative stamps and postal stationery that year. They were the first commemoratives issued by the USPS.

Here are pix of some Columbus stationery that I inherited from my dad. They show Columbus on the left with Lady Liberty on the right. I think they're a nice complement to your half.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,106Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05