Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1934 Maryland Tercentenary

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,833Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  6:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Leaving the Deep South today and heading north for a few days... First stop, a 1934 Maryland in PCGS MS-65.

The Maryland half commemorates the 300th anniversary of the state's founding as a colony by Cecil Calvert (Lord Baltimore) in 1634. The obverse features Cecil Calvert, while the reverse presents the Maryland Coat-of-Arms. The coin was designed by Hans Schuler for the Maryland Tercentenary Commission; Mr. Schuler also designed the Commission's Tercentenary medal (shown below).

Read More: Commems Collection

I've had the piece shown here for a number of years now and think it a nice example. I've also seen some nice MS-66s out there, so I admit to having thoughts of upgrading from time to time. Each time, however, I've decided I liked my coin just fine and have kept it. I'm not trying to assemble the "finest known" set (or anything close), so, while I do go after higher grade pieces for my set, I try to focus on finding coins I like and will enjoy owning vs. simply buying the highest grade coin I can afford. Sometimes the two philosophies coincide, sometimes they don't! When they don't, I go with "I like it!".

Enjoy!

1934 Maryland Tercentenary - Obverse

1934 Maryland Tercentenary - Reverse

1934 Maryland Tercentenary Medal - Obverse

1934 Maryland Tercentenary Medal - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6393 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always liked the PCGS old green holders, they seem to be more appealing to me. The medal also is very cool.
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the commemm. half dollars. In another thread I posted about building a lesson plan/history lesson for middle school aged kids and its relation to money. I've got to figure out how to add some of these in that "curriculum".
Thanks for posting these.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your collection is inspiring and wonderful commems ...

This is a coin that can be found in MS66 with a visual impact that meets our needs ... if you find the right one.

Quote:
I'm not trying to assemble the "finest known" set (or anything close), so, while I do go after higher grade pieces for my set, I try to focus on finding coins I like and will enjoy owning vs. simply buying the highest grade coin I can afford.

I salute and endorse that attitude.

For example ... I have in my cherished 50-coin MS type set an amazing 1935 Elgin half in PCGS MS65/CAC ... blazing white cartwheel luster with a hammered strike ... a 1 in many thousand coin eye appeal.

I could easily purchase an MS66 example for just a few dollars more ... but have never seen an MS66 that is even close to the visual impact of my humble MS65 coin ... and I am in the hunt for my enjoyment ... not the chase of a 'great set' as measured soley by technical grade.

Someday ... when my set is passed along/sold ... the best I can hope for is the epitaph that "David searched for and collected quality coins".

Thanks for sharing your quality set.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someday ... when my set is passed along/sold ... the best I can hope for is the epitaph that "David searched for and collected quality coins".

Amen!
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone remind me the translation Of the Latin Phrase below the shield? If I remember correctly, it's funny.
Another fantastic coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Fatti Maschii Parole Femine

Deeds are manly, words are womanly.

I offer no editorial comment!
Edited by commems
03/27/2012 9:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's right, ha, makes me love this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice commem!
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous coin!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 2,833Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: