Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1921 Alabama Statehood Centennial, Plain

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,252Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2012  10:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This evening's offering is a 1921 Alabama Statehood Centennial, Plain variety in PCGS MS-65; it is the companion piece to the Alabama 2x2 variety that I recently posted.

The content provided in my Alabama ‘2x2' post is generally applicable to this coin as well, here's a link to that coin's post: http://goccf.com/t/115032

The Plain variety lacks the incused ‘2x2' in the obverse field to the right of the portrait of circa 1920 Alabama Governor Thomas Kilby.

Read More: Commems Collection

One interesting addition here is the fact that the Alabama commemorative was originally proposed as a 25-cent piece, but was amended to be a half-dollar. It would have been the second US commemorative quarter-dollar (following the 1893 Isabella) if it was struck as originally conceived and may have started a trend that would have produced a mix of 25-cent and 50-cent commemoratives! An interesting "What might have been?" scenario to consider!

The use of conjoined bust portraits as seen on the Alabama was surprisingly common within the classic US silver commemorative series -- 11 of the 50 silver types featured conjoined portraits (that's 22%!). Here's the list:

• 1900 Lafayette Dollar

• 1921 Alabama

• 1921 Missouri Statehood Centennial

• 1923 Monroe Doctrine Centennial

• 1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary

• 1926 Independence Sesquicentennial

• 1935-39 Arkansas Statehood Centennial

• 1936 Long Island Tercentenary

• 1936 Battle of Gettysburg

• 1936 Battle of Antietam 75th Anniversary

• 1951-54 Carver-Washington

Note: I don't count the 1925 Stone Mountain in this group as I don't consider its design to be a portrait design.

Just for fun, I've also included an image of a 1975 commemorative coin from Bolivia. Though a modern coin, I find it has a "classic" aesthetic. It also has conjoined portraits in a similar vein to the Alabama, the coin depicts a key figure in Bolivia's past -- its 1825 Liberator Simon Bolivar -- and a then-current political figure -- 1975 Bolivian President Hugo Banzer.

Enjoy! Happy Easter! (If you celebrate it, Happy Sunday! if you don't.)

1921 Alabama Plain -- Obverse

1921 Alabama Plain -- Reverse

1975 Bolivia Independence Sesquicentennial -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2012  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully catching up after another long weekend at work.

Fabulous coin commems ... your lustrous Alabama is way better than my current example.

Truly enjoyed as well your listing of the eleven co-joined busts ... and your photo of the 1975 Bolivia coin.

Great coins and stories indeed.

Tired now and beat up from too much work.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin, commems! Alas, my home state yet I don't own one (yet). LCS had a nice 2x2 example a few months ago but it is long gone.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Quote:
The use of conjoined bust portraits as seen on the Alabama was surprisingly common within the classic US silver commemorative series -- 11 of the 50 silver types featured conjoined portraits (that's 22%!).
Interesting. This is something that I had not noticed before.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2012  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another amazing coin you have!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05