Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Battle Of Gettysburg 75th Ann.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,724Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  10:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Up next is one of two commemorative half-dollars to mark the 75th anniversary of an important battle of the Civil War, presented here is a Gettysburg coin in PCGS MS-65.

The three-day Battle of Gettysburg is acknowledged as the Civil War battle with the highest number of casualties and, with the North emerging victorious, the point in the war at which the North began to take firm control of its outcome. I cannot do the Battle of Gettysburg justice here, so I refer the reader to the source of his/her choice to review the details of this pivotal event in US history.

In 1938, there was planned a "Blue and Gray Reunion" in Gettysburg to honor surviving veterans of the Battle of Gettysburg upon its 75th anniversary. To help mark the event, a commemorative half-dollar coin was sought by the Pennsylvania State Commission. 50,000 of the 1936-dated coins were struck in 1937 to commemorate the 1938 anniversary -- I just love the "date games" that were played with some of the classic issues! In the end, only about 27,000 coins were sold (prices ranged from $1.65 to $2.65 each), with the rest being returned to the Mint to be melted.

Read More: Commems Collection

The coin features right-facing, conjoined portraits of a Union soldier (foreground) and a Confederate soldier (background); the portraits are unnamed and meant to be representative of each side's forces. The reverse presents the Union (left) and Confederate (right) shields along with a commemorative inscription. The coin is the work of Frank Vittor.

The coin presented is a brilliant "minty fresh" example with wonderful luster on both sides. This is one of the coins in the series that is definitely available in higher grades -- MS-66 and MS-67 -- on a regular basis. Mine has a few marks that are characteristic of a nice MS-65, but it will likely be a part of my collection for the foreseeable future as I concentrate my upgrades on other coins. I like it!

To round out the coin's story, I've also included the original plain white unprinted cardboard holder that the coins were shipped in -- the Commission originally expected coins to be struck at all three mints -- along with the attractive mailing envelope and the letterhead from the Pennsylvania State Commission. As the holder is unprinted, it can be easily counterfeited. I would suggest that it only be purchased if accompanied by at least the mailing envelope shown or inserted coins with appropriate tab toning, so at least you would have a higher confidence in its authenticity.

Enjoy!

1936 Battle of Gettysburg -- Obverse

1936 Battle of Gettysburg -- Reverse

1936 Battle of Gettysburg -- Original Coin Holder (Mailer)

1936 Battle of Gettysburg -- Original Mailing Envelope

Letterhead of Pennsylvania State Commission (Coin's Sponsor)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse of your coin is a knockout. I am really enjoying your posts. Great collection.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that coin. You are very lucky to have one so nice. That and the Antietam coin are 1 and 2 on my most wanted list. Dont suppose you would like to sell lol
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a visually outstanding example of what many people ... myself included ... consider to be one of the 'best' coins in the classic silver series.

IMHO the design elegance and historical importance of the event commemorated combine to raise this coin to special status.

Interesting your thoughts on the availability in gem-plus grades ... I fully concur and, in fact, also have in my personal type set an MS65/CAC Gettysburg ... which I am thrilled with as I focus my upgrade efforts on others in the series.

Your fabulous ephemera remind me of some interesting tidbits associated with the event and distribution of the coins.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt did appear at the Blue & Grey Reunion and dedicated the Eternal Light Peace Memorial as shown on your mailing envelope. I have never been there ... need to plan a visit.

Your letterhead mentions Paul L. Roy as the Executive Secretary of the Pennsylvania State Commission ... he being the member tasked with sales and distribution of the coins.

Mr. Roy ... in hopes of additional sales ... continued to lobby for issues to be struck at all three mints. He advertised them for sale as such ... and it was not until May 1937 (the coins to be struck in Philly in June of that year) that he finally admitted failure in that quest. He wrote to those who ordered sets from 3 mints .... and advised them he would send 3 coins from Philly with refunds of the $1.65 purchase price if desired.

Be aware that struck counterfeits exist of this issue. Several years ago I actually purchased one from E-Pray that appeared to be XF45 or so. Design details looked fine by the photo, and the weight was on target when I received it. What finally clued me in was that the tip of the fasces (separating the shields on the reverse) did not reach fully to the inner ring of the reverse design. It was an amazingly well done fake ... wish I had taken a photo before I returned it for a refund.

Another lovely coin and related materials from your outstanding set commems. Keep 'em coming.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
04/15/2012 08:52 am
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool coin and a beautiful example you have there! I especially like the original, hand-typed mailing envelope.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add COMET to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin, the packaging looks pretty unique. And even the envelope used looks really clean.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was enjoying commems' Civil War half-dollar extravaganza this morning, then opened up today's paper and saw this on the front page. I had not thought about this year being the second 75th anniversary.

Interestingly, Huntsville retains the largest number of surviving antebellum homes in Alabama due to their capitulation to the Yanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin and story. I have visited the battlefield twice -- once in the 1970s and once a few years ago. It is amazing and sad to take a personal tour and hear the stories about how that battle was fought over the 3 days.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Another contender for my 7070. It is not just the general historical significance, but because I have been to Gettysburg.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a sweet coin!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 2,724Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05