Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,864Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  9:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Staying in the northeast for another day, tonight's offering is the half-dollar issued to mark the 300th anniversary of the founding of Rhode Island in 1636. The coin is represented by a Denver-struck example in PCGS MS-65.

How many folks are aware that the official name of Rhode Island is the "State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"? Today's state is the result of the merger of several settlements/colonies that were all created in the name of religious and political tolerance. The two primary colonies were 1) Providence Plantations and 2) Rhode Island Plantation. The former was founded in 1636 by Roger Williams, while the latter's roots are traceable to 1637 and the arrival of William Coddington and his wife Anne Hutchinson on Aquidneck Island (ultimately Rhode Island). Each of these founders left/were forced to leave the Massachusetts Bay Colony due to the religious and political intolerance they experienced while there.

Read More: Commems Collection

The coin is the work of Newport, RI artists John Benson and Arthur Carey. The obverse features Roger Williams being greeted by a local Native American as he lands his canoe at the mouth of the Moshassuck River; Williams would found his settlement along the east bank of the river. The reverse of the coin depicts "the shield bearing the anchor of Hope" as seen on the state's Seal. These designs are simplifications of the original, text-heavy designs prepared by the same artists; the original attempts were rejected by the Commission of Fine Arts.

The coin has a net mintage of 50,000 with Philadelphia responsible for 20,000 coins and Denver and San Francisco striking 15,000 each. It is fairly easy to find a nice looking Rhode Island in high mint state grade (though ugly coins exist!), so a collector can be picky. The largest price differentials begin at the MS-66 level. My example is (once again) a flashy, white brilliant coin with a very attractive overall look. (My scan is showing color on the coin's reverse that is not visible to the naked eye -- not sure what's going on.)

In addition to the coin, I've also included a rather scarce piece of related ephemera -- a small leaflet/brochure promoting the commemorative half-dollar and providing ordering instructions. The ephemera I've shown with other coins so far is generally scarce, with maybe a couple hundred surviving examples (sometimes far fewer), but, in almost all cases, I've seen multiple examples. The flyer shown here is the only one I've ever come across (including in commemorative reference books and auction catalogs). Of course, for all I know, every coin store in Rhode Island has 10 available for immediate sale...

Enjoy!

1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary -- Obverse

1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary -- Reverse

1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary -- Flyer, Front (R) / Back (L)

1936 Rhode Island Tercentenary -- Flyer, Interior

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I offer a tip of my cap for another tremendous recount of the story behind these coins ... and of course for you lovely MS65 example.

Truly ... our family of interested collectors is reflective of the coin community at large ... a small but passioned group.

Quote:
The flyer shown here is the only one I've ever come across

IMHO ... the best service you have offered to all of us is the related ephemera that you have collected ... amazing ... I am now inspired to seek out some of my own ... and I offer my full salute to you for sharing.

I will add that this coin ... like most 1936 commemorative ... is tough to find in honestly circulated condition ... the result of low mintage sold at a premium to collectors.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2012  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the best service you have offered to all of us is the related ephemera that you have collected...I offer my full salute to you for sharing

It has been my pleasure to share some of my commemorative ephemera. When it comes to my hobby, I enjoy learning about what I collect and then sharing my knowledge with other collectors. What's the fun in keeping "secrets"?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin!
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like that design.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,864Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05