Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 And 1946 Pennies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,646Next Topic  

Australia
36 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  09:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nick01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious...

Anybody here know if the 1925 and 1946 Australian pennies are rare in any way?

I inherited a pre-decimal coin collection folder (from Pa) and it says that there weren't many pennies made in these years...

This maybe a silly question, but I noticed that sometimes.. The amount of coins minted doesn't have much to do with how rare they are or what the value is.

Just curious.. I am new to the pre-decimal type coins :(
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1607 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1925 is the 2nd rarest & the 1946 is the 3rd rarest pennies,very rare in high end grades.
Australia
36 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nick01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh :O ... I didn't know that 1920 is the 2nd rarest coin! :O

Thankyou :) ... Not sure about the grade though.. I'd have to post a pic or something.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post pictures so people can give a better indication of value but the 1925 is in most cases worth at least $100 and the 1946 at least $50. Grade is obviously important and prices increase hugely at the nicer end of the scale.
Australia
36 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nick01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I decided not to put in the 1946 penny as it appears to have been run over by several trucks. The 1925 Penny I think looks ok :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hate to say it Nick01, But this appears to have been cleaned/polished.
I can see 6 Perls but the glare may be hiding the centre jewel and the other 2 Perls.
The best I can give it is aVF cleaned
Valued Member
Australia
163 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rbarat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking coin.
Hard to tell from the 2nd picture because of the flash, but looks almost like a full band, and the top part of the centre diamond. My opinion is good Fine but don't take this as gospel. If you can see the 4 corners in the diamond, it becomes closer to Very Fine.
In Fine it catalogues at $250, $425 in Very Fine
Australia
36 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nick01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's cleaned =P. The previous owner of the coin (Pa) told me NEVER to clean coins. He sounded pretty serious about not cleaning them lol. He is a scary dude lol
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1607 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well he gave you very sound advice then, I think it's just the flash,if you can Nick take the coin outside in the daylight & get some good clear pictures for us.
Makes it much easier to give you an accurate assessment of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not cleaned but its not VF due to the lack of a centre diamond which I dont think is a trick of the flash. I think F would be a fair grade. And possibly gF as rbarat suggests if the centre diamond is a little less worn. Good news is IMO it is genuine with a nice looking date. On ebay I would suspect to get anywhere from $100 to $120.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
540 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wwwww to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cleaned to me, the high points on the reverse are way too reflective. I'd give it gF.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NickWilliams2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me in 2012. Take no notice. A little over 2 years of coin collecting and still didn't know a thing.

Yes, they are rare! Or at least somewhat. 1930, 1925 and then 1946. In that order. The 1925 in question is a 'Broken N' variety correct? So, yes of course they're valuable!

Spoiler: The 1925 ended up being taken to PCGS to get graded.
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,646Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05