Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1922 Grant Birth Centennial, Plain

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,631Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2012  6:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tonight we look at another "companion" variety coin to one that I have already posted, the 1922 Grant Birth Centennial half-dollar "Plain" or "No Star." The coin is presented via an example in PCGS MS-66.

Here's a link to my post re: the Grant w/ Star variety: http://goccf.com/t/114574

The Grant half-dollar was struck to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Ulysses S. Grant, graduate of the US Military Academy at West Point, General in Chief of the Union Forces during the US Civil War and 18th President of the Unites States. Grant was born in 1822 in Point Pleasant, Ohio in a two-room cabin and was given the name Hiram Ulysses Grant; it is said he changed his name to Ulysses Simpson to prevent his monogram from being "HUG." He grew up in nearby Georgetown, Ohio.

Read More: Commems Collection

The obverse of the coin features a right-facing portrait of Grant, while the reverse depicts not the cabin Grant was born in but rather the house he grew up in (at least symbolically). The coin is the work of Laura Gardin Fraser, who also designed the Alabama Statehood Centennial, Fort Vancouver Centennial and Oregon Trail Memorial (reverse) half-dollars of the classic US commemorative series. In addition, her winning -- but passed over -- design for the 1932 Washington quarter was eventually used on the 1999 gold commemorative half eagle marking the 200th anniversary of George Washington's death. The designs appearing on the silver half-dollar were also used on the 1922 Grant Gold Dollar coins (same Star / No Star varieties).

The No Star variety of the Grant half-dollar is far more common than the Star variety. The Star variety has a mintage of 4,256 while over 67,400 of the No Star variety were struck. As would be expected, the Star variety carries a significant premium over the No Star variety across just about all grades -- the same-grade premium can easily be in the 10x range for quality coins.

The coin shown here is an electric, bright white coin with very flashy obverse and reverse luster; it's a great match to my Gem with Star variety.

Enjoy!

1992 Grant, No Star -- Obverse

1992 Grant, No Star -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2012  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems, as much as I have enjoyed your posts and coins, I think this coin takes the cake. The obverse has an almost cameo look and the reverse is stunning.

Fantastic coin. Which comes as no surprise.....
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2012  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tremendous coin commems ... amazing by your scans ... worthy indeed of some serious accolades.

This is perhaps the best eye appeal coin I have seen from your fabulous set ... can only imagine how it looks in hand.

Lovely fabulous flashy bright gem ... wonderful coin indeed ... with much better eye appeal than my PCGS MS66/CAC example.

This coin is a great example for new fans to the series about taking your time to find 'special' coins ... I know for fact by my own searching that it took a long time of dedicated searching to find such a lovely example ...

Thanks for sharing ... keep them coming.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coin!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,631Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05