Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 CA Statehood Diamond Jubilee

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,991Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2012  10:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Up for discussion tonight is the half-dollar issued to commemorate the 75th anniversary of California's admission to the Union as our 31st state. The coin is represented by an example in PCGS MS-66.

The California Diamond Jubilee was celebrated in San Francisco from 5 to 12 September 1925. While preparing for the Jubilee, the California Diamond Jubilee Committee set aside funds to prepare and publish a history of the celebrations. Fortunately for me, the volume includes a nice discussion of the commemorative half-dollar including a review of how the coin came to be, the story of its design and its distribution. So, rather than write my own version of the history behind the coin, I will refer the reader to the pages presented below.

Read More: Commems Collection

I will only add to the story the fact that the coin's initial design sketches did move through the review and approval process as smoothly as is indicated by the Committee. Joseph Mora's initial sketches did not impress James Earle Fraser and, therefore, the Fine Arts Commission. In addition to suggested design changes, Fraser also recommended a more accomplished medalist be engaged to create the final models for the coin. The Committee chose to ignore the suggestions/recommendations and eventually won the battle. They got their coin, their way!

The coin shown is a brilliant example with original lustrous surfaces and some peripheral toning. While the vast majority of my coins are "white", there were times while I was building my collection that I came across a partially toned coin that simply had a wonderful original look and so it became part of my collection. (I have a very nice York coming up!) This California is one of those coins.

The coin takes a noticeable price jump starting at MS-65, but very nice MS-64 coins can be found with diligent searching. The coin I had before the one shown was a very choice MS-64 that I purchased at a fraction of the price of the present coin.

Enjoy!

1925 California Diamond Jubilee -- Obverse

1925 California Diamond Jubilee -- Reverse

California Diamond Jubilee Official History -- Title Page

California Diamond Jubilee Official History -- Coin Page 1

California Diamond Jubilee Official History -- Coin Page 2

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2012  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet! Much nicer than my ms64 example and a real gem. I wish your photos were larger for my old, tired eyes (although the 100 kb limitation can be a challenge).

Even though I don't always comment, I'm lurking anding over every post you make. Your collection is amazing and I appreciate you sharing your coins, related material, vast knowledge and time.

I must say, so far, my most favorite commemorative of all is your Connecticut.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2012  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am lurking as well, beautiful coins! I really appreciate the information you are passing on as well.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

My wife is from California, so this one is also a candidate for the 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pleased that the San Francisco Citizens Committee chose to thumb their noses at James Earl Fraser negative review back in the day and stick with Carmel, CA sculptor Jo Mora design ... today we have a coin that is widely accepted as an exceptional work of numismatic art.

I personally find the design very attractive ... the elegant motifs are appealing in a minimalistic way to my eye.

Net mintage of this coin is reported at 86,594 examples ... of which PCGS has certified 296 in MS66 and a minuscule 103 in higher technical grade.

Price follows that availability curve ... and as Commems has wisely suggested MS64 examples can be had at a fraction of the price of this MS66 example.

Personally ... I find the rim toning to be a bit of a distraction to my eye ... although that is a quibble on an otherwise fabulous surviving example of a lovely classic silver commemorative.

Thanks for sharing.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5854 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2012  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,991Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05