Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1935 Boone Birth Bicentennial - Sm Date

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,762Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2012  7:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tonight we continue our look at the Daniel Boone commemorative half-dollars with a look at the "Small Date" variety of the coin. The coin is presented via an example in PCGS MS-65.

Here's a link to the previous post regarding the 1934 Daniel Boone half-dollar: http://goccf.com/t/117670

Read More: Commems Collection

Unlike many of the coins in the classic commemorative series, the 1934 Boone half-dollar did not use dual dates to identify the bicentennial being celebrated (i.e., no ‘1734-1934'). This would not have been much of an issue if the coin was only to be struck and dated ‘1934', the actual year of the bicentennial of Boone's birth (1734). But, the half-dollar would be struck for several years and bear the dates 1935, 1936, 1937 and 1938 -- thus the connection to the bicentennial date would be lost. To address the situation, a small ‘1934' was added on the reverse above the ‘Pioneer Year' inscription beginning in 1935 to identify the original bicentennial year. I view these coins as the "Small Date" variety of the Boone commemorative.

The 1935-dated half-dollars were issued with and without the small-date ‘1934' on the reverse, but the coins issued from 1936 through 1938 all include the small date.

Trivia Question: What is the first US coin to feature a real-life Native American (vs. a composite or symbolic representation)?

Trivia Answer: The Daniel Boone half-dollar; it features Shawnee Chief Black Fish (sometimes Blackfish) on its reverse.

Anyone know the second coin?

As with yesterday's coin, my "Small Date" Boone is a brilliant white coin with nice cartwheel luster on both obverse and reverse. It wouldn't be too difficult to upgrade this piece to an MS-66 example, but it's a near certainty that this nice white gem in a PCGS original green holder will be a long-term part of my collection.

I've also included an image of a page from the Daniel Boone Bicentennial Commission Report to the Kentucky General Assembly; it features the obverse/reverse models of the coin.

Enjoy!

1935/34 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial, Small Date Variety -- Obverse

1935/34 Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial, Small Date Variety -- Reverse

Daniel Boone Birth Bicentennial Half-Dollar - Obverse and Reverse Models

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
04/29/2012 1:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2012  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your outstanding coin commems is of course the result of the greed and political connections of C. Frank Dunn who somehow convinced congress to issue a complete 3-mint set of these small-date coins in late 1935 ... despite the fact that 20,020 1935 dated coins had already been issued ...

Your Philly mint 1935/34 is an outstanding example of the history behind this coin ... and quite lovely by photo in her PCGS MS65 OGH holder.

Quote:
Anyone know the second coin?

I believe I can eliminate a few possibilities ... and offer a guess.

The classic silver commemorative set offers 6 coins with Indians ... Missouri, Oregon Trail, Boone, Arkansas, Rhode Island and Hawaiian.

Your featured Boone features Chief Blackfish ... and the other five coins are symbolic Indians.

The modern gold commemorative series features some Indian images as well ... but none named that I know of.

Soooo ... my best guess to the trivia question ...

History records that a Shoshone female native-american supported the Lewis & Clark expedition ... her name is Sacagawea ... and the US Mint issued a dollar coin featuring her.

How did I do?

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2012  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

@nickelsearcher: Ding! Ding! We have a winner! When Sacagawea made her debut on the US dollar coin in 2000, she was the second actual Native American to appear on a US coin.
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2012  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awe, he beat me to it.

Very nice coin!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,762Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05