Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1926 Oregon Trail Memorial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 2,870Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5657 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  12:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today we look at the Oregon Trail Memorial half-dollar, a coin struck to honor the early pioneers who explored and settled the US western frontier. The coin is represented here by an example in PCGS MS-65.

The Oregon Trail half-dollar is a perennial favorite among US commemorative coin collectors, with frequent billing as the "most beautiful" coin of the classic series. It is little wonder that the coin's design was so well received, as it was entrusted to two of the most prominent artists of the day -- the husband and wife team of James Earle Fraser (obverse) and Laura Gardin Fraser (reverse). Historical footnote: Noted artist/sculptor Chester Beach was actually the first artist chosen to design the coin, but was not able to execute his initial design thoughts due to other commitments.

Read More: Commems Collection

The obverse of the coin depicts a family in a Conestoga wagon making its way west for a new life. The reverse depicts a symbolic Native American looking east with an outstretched arm and upward extended hand seeming to indicate "Stop!" to approaching settlers. It is interesting to note that while the wagon side is officially considered the obverse, it is the standing Native American side that is typically viewed as the obverse by today's collectors (and third-party grading companies!).

The Oregon was issued in multiple (but not all) years between 1926 and 1938. It was struck at all three US mints over its course, though not necessarily in all three mints in a given year. One note: the 1933 coins struck at Denver were the first commemorative coins struck there. I'll leave it to the reader to review a " Red Book" or other commemorative coin reference to see all of the various date/mint combinations. Its multi-year run ultimately positioned it as one of the primary examples for Congress of how commemorative coins were abusing the US coinage system and was thus a primary driver behind Congress passing a bill in 1939 that imposed limitations on US commemorative coins and put a stop to such long-running commemorative series as the Arkansas, Boone, Oregon and Texas.

The Oregon Trail Memorial Association initially attempted to differentiate each of it annual issues by assigning a historical name tag to each year. The 1926 issue came to be referred to as the "Ezra Meeker" coin, the 1928 issue was referred to as the "Jedediah Smith" coin, the 1933 as the "Century of Progress" coin, the 1934 release as the "Fort Hall, Fort Laramie, Jason Lee Centennial" coin and the 1936 issue as the "Whitman Mission" coin. The practice stopped after 1936, with neither the 1937 nor 1938 coins being tagged with a historical reference. From looking at contemporary advertisements for the Oregon Trail coins, it does not appear that the historical name tags ever achieved any sort of traction among coin dealers -- the coins were typically just listed by date in their advertisements.

The example presented is a brilliant first-year-of-issue coin that has wonderful luster and a very attractive overall aesthetic (IMHO!). I know that it would be about the easiest coin in my collection to upgrade, but I like this coin and never think to look for an upgrade to it while at coin shows -- maybe it's the nearly 45 degree rotation of the reverse (obverse?) that keeps it interesting for me! (Hope the wagon has a good braking system!)

I've also included an example of the original holder for the coin along with its mailing envelope; both are in very nice shape.

Enjoy!

1926 Oregon Trail Memorial -- Obverse (?)

1926 Oregon Trail Memorial -- Reverse (?)

Oregon Trail Memorial Coin -- Original Holder

Oregon Trail Memorial Coin -- Mailing Envelope

For those with a strong interest in the Oregon Trail Memorial half-dollar, the following booklet written by Bert Webber (1986) might be of interest.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic info! I didn't know the historical info behind the series. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6341 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hands down this is my favorite American coin design even tho it has nothing to do with growing up in Oregon . I own eight examples but still want to acquire the full sub set, yours is a beautiful example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7071 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2012  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears that my commemorative buddy muddler is well on his way to the complete 14-coin sub-set of Oregon Trail halves ... a set that many commemorative fans aspire to complete.

With good reason as well ... this design by Fraser/Fraser is generally considered the most artistic and evocative of the classic silver series ... and I agree.

Commems MS65 1926 example is typical of what can be found with a bit of dedicated searching (coupled with knowledge of quality coins) ... and as correctly stated would be easy to upgrade in technical grade.

I offer a tip of my cap to you commems for having the wisdom to hold such a lovely coin in your set without feeling the need to upgrade ... great to know there is someone else out there satisfied with a premium quality coin in lower technical grade.

Excellent related materials ... I enjoy the address on the mailing envelope ... gotta think the country was smaller in Feb 1938.

Keep 'em coming.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2012  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that coin is good,I like the original holder
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2012  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one impressive looking coin. I love the details on it. Kind of looks life like
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 2,870Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05