Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1937 Roanoke Ephemera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,264Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2012  6:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I first posted about the Roanoke Colony half-dollar, I did not include any of the associated ephemera in my collection. So, I thought I'd "make a mends" and post a couple of interesting items. I especially like the advertisement for the memorial coin on the back of the FDC.

Read More: Commems Collection

1937 Roanoke Colony Half-Dollar Original Mailer/Holder -- Front

1937 Roanoke Colony Half-Dollar Original Mailer/Holder -- Interior

First Day Cover for the 1937 Virginia Dare Stamp -- Front

First Day Cover for the 1937 Virginia Dare Stamp -- Back

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2012  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow ... how do you find all this?

Suppose you are not 110 years old ... so there must be a source to acquire all this tremendous ephemera.

Secret?

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1316 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eng5858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WoW,

This is great, to see how these coin's were shipped, very nice !
This Forum has it all,Thank you...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Suppose you are not 110 years old ... so there must be a source to acquire all this tremendous ephemera.

Very funny! No, I'm not 110 but I hope to get there some day!

My secret? My patented 3 step process is as follows:

• Read as much about the series as you can in books, old magazines, etc. so that you know what is out there.
  • Attend as many local/regional/national coin shows as you can.
  • Buy when the opportunity presents itself -- you won't know when (if) you'll see the piece again.
Not very sexy, but it has worked for me over the years.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty nice info. Too bad the coins are missing. I imagine you have them in the slabs though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

@wquinn: Yes, nearly all of my classic commemoratives are in PCGS holders. Almost all of the related holders/mailers I have purchased (and displayed here on CCF) have been empty at the time of purchase. Sometimes they did come with a certified coin I was buying, but mostly I bought them without a coin or coins.

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PeaceBD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems,some very interesting addition to go with a commemorative half collection. TFS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2088 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool ephemera. Love these holders. I have a couple myself that I'll post about shortly. This 5 year old post...bumping to the top!
Edited by bandsdean
01/08/2017 02:27 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for great input as always!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11032 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2017  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A worthy bump considering commems' more recent post.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05