Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pay In Pennies?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1503 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2012  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He did that so he wouldnt get yelled at or fired....

Quote:
the guy had to ask his boss if he "should" take them...what kind of crap is that?

personally the guy that payed his last mortgage payment is pennies is an idiot --he just made the bank tellers job a nightmare
Edited by Coinstar
07/19/2012 09:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2012  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had this happen to me at work (with both pennies and quarters). My answer: "Here are some wrappers. I'll be happy to help you when you can pay without holding up all these people behind you." I'm happy to accept wrapped coin in any amount.

Don't be a jerk--roll your coin. And, if you're trying to spend a dump instead of just, well, dumping it, don't try to do it all at once. I've handed out up to $2 (in pennies) and $15 (in dimes) in wrappers, and most people seem glad to take in those small amounts.

. . . . of course, I'm also at an advantage because I can take ten bucks' worth of pennies to work, swap 'em out for a $10 bill, and not get in trouble for it, so take that with a grain of salt. I do most of my dumping that way (actually wondering if I'd freak out our assistant manager if I finished rewrapping my current box of $25 and took it in tonight to swap out with the $25 we just got--dump AND more to search, bonus!).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12930 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2012  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
actually wondering if I'd freak out our assistant manager if I finished rewrapping my current box of $25 and took it in tonight to swap out with the $25 we just got--dump AND more to search, bonus!.

Depending on what type of manager you have if you explained your intentions and asked first they may not care at all and let you do that from now on
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My small town Postmaster liked being paid in rolled coins - it saved her a trip to the bank. I would ask if she wanted them for payment and she would take them, then I would show her my excess rolled coins and she would "buy" what she needed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2012  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Williamsonj320 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always feel bad when I'm broke and starving and spend $3 in quarters at McDonalds. I can't imagine how embarrassed I would feel trying to do that with pennies.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10212 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2012  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't be a jerk--roll your coin.

It's kinda funny.... I thought once that that was the only way I could take my change back to the bank for deposit. Well, I bank with BoA and they don't take rolled change any more. 10 years ago or so I took about 2-300 bucks of rolled change in to my branch. Great. It took me another 5 years to accumulate that much from regular spending and the next time I took it in all nicely rolled (after a few hours in front of the TV with coin wrappers and a bottle or 4 of wine), they told me politely that I needed to break all the rolls into a large heavy-duty plastic bag that they would seal up and ship off to San Antonio to be counted.

It didn't take nearly as long to break the rolls as it took to wrap them, obviously, but sheesh. What a lot of wasted effort.

Now I know. And any time I go to the bank I ask for one of those bags so I can easily throw my CRH rejects and pocket change into them.

Moral - check with your bank to see if they don't accept rolled change before you spend time rolling. I suspect it's the larger guys that don't take rolled stuff.
Pillar of the Community
United States
904 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2012  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with paying with rolled coin is that there is no way to easily know that the roll contains the correct amount of the correct coin unless it is broken and counted. Even plastic see-thru rolls have been found that contain slugs or are short a couple nickles.

I was sent to the bank years ago when I worked in retail and one of the rolls of quarters contained a piece of pipe sandwiched between a few quarters on either end of the roll. So for $1.50 and a piece of pipe some one made off with $10 someplace down the line.

The idea about paying the last mortgage payment in pennies is not to be a jerk but to symbolize an achievement. Many banks, especially in small towns where the local bank may still hold a mortgage (kind of rare these days...) would relish the event and make a ceremony out of it. Try this at one of those huge, faceless corporations that hold most of the mortgages these days however and you are right back at the "cause a scene" situations.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2012  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GerrodH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just roll hunted my first box of pennies. Afterwards, I wasnt really sure what to do with the ones I didnt want to keep. Taking a 8.9% haircut or whatever other fee someone would place seems a bit ridiculous. In searching for alternatives, I was at Woodman's Foods and saw the self checkout had a funnel for payment of change. Today was the test run and I successfully paid with about 140 pennies (and the rest with cash). It took a minute or two for it to process but there were no other issues. I tested it for small amounts (up to 20 cents) and the counter appeared accurate. Paying for anything more than $2 with pennies would probably be conspicuously long.

I still dont know where I'll get rid of halves if I ever roll hunt those...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10212 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2012  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your bank should accept them. Or some of the Coinstar kiosks will not charge you a fee if you select store credit or certain vendors (Amazon, etc.) instead.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2012  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gerrod, try your local gas station! My station is full of coin hunters, and we all look for different things. I wouldn't advise trying to pay with a hundred bucks in halves, but as long as you have a nicely wrapped roll, or can count your coin out QUICKLY (the number of people I have to count for because they apparently can't handle multiples of five, YEESH), your local station should have no problem accepting your coin in small amounts. I've taken payments of up to $32 in dollar coins and halves for gas and snacks. That particular gentleman had a great system: Showed me which kind of coin he was using (he paid with his dollars first, then halves), then quickly stacked them out: "One-two-three-four-five, one-two-three-four-ten, one-two-three-four-fifteen." (The $2 at the end was a single stack of halves.) All I had to do was sweep up the coins and dump 'em in my alternate-change slot.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05