Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1996 Atlanta Olympics Commemorative Twist

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 2,966Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2012  8:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here's something that's a bit different...

As part of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics coin program, the US Mint contracted for the use of some of its coin images on stored value cards that were branded as "VISA Cash." Each of the cards had a computer chip in it that stored the cash value; the cards were used like debit/credit cards. Some other Visa Cash cards at the games were rechargeable, but the cards depicting US commemorative coins were not.

Use of the cards was somewhat limited in that they were intended for use only at select local Olympic Games retail venues in and around Atlanta at the time of the 1996 Atlanta Games; all of the cards shown have long since expired.

These particular cards were issued by NationsBank. Note: NationsBank acquired BankAmerica in 1998 and renamed itself Bank of America.

Just thought some folks might find these "money cards" an interesting spin on the coins we collect!

Enjoy!

$50 VISA Cash Card with 1995 Torch Runner Gold Half-Eagle - Front

$50 VISA Cash Card with 1995 Torch Runner Gold Half-Eagle -- Back

$20 VISA Cash Card with 1996 Wheelchair Silver Dollar - Front

$20 VISA Cash Card with 1996 Wheelchair Silver Dollar -- Back

$20 VISA Cash Card with 1996 High Jump Silver Dollar -- Front

$20 VISA Cash Card with 1996 High Jump Silver Dollar -- Back

$10 VISA Cash Card with 1996 Swimming Half-Dollar - Front

$10 VISA Cash Card with 1996 Swimming Half-Dollar -- Back

Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2012  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where oh where does the depth of your collection ever end commens.

I am out of words to continue saying what I have said all along ...

This is a world-class museum quality collection which you are so generously sharing with all of us.

Amazing that one collector has assembled all that you have share with us ...

Many Thanks for opening my eyes to the possibilities.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2012  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems, I have been lurking because I am up to my eyeballs with work. Loving your posts and my hubby was OK with my first foray into commems thanks to you.
Edited by CoinsKelly
06/19/2012 12:25 am
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2012  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing!

I remember those cards and the 1996 Olympics (I was there for some of it). Difficult to believe it was 16 years ago now.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2012  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing. I have never heard of them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 2,966Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05