Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Collection Post Yours

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2012  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Raymo. I really was going to improve the support for those shelves this winter, but after getting my chops busted I thought I'd better just take care of it now!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19171 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2012  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larsdog: just a guess but is the bottom shelf or desk top also curved? It may be the photo but it looks curved or bowed. Might be the way the photo was taken.
If you continue getting more Albums, are you planning on knocking out a wall?

Quote:
But yes .. by reading the post here .. I know you are in the Chicago area .. or near there. And you like going to coin shows .. sometimes a couple a month. You like Whitman albums and the Red Book. When you were young, at a local coin shop you saw a bowl that had several 1916 D dimes, seems like it was 10 or 12, and you bought them all.

Decent memory but wrong on most info. All was a long time ago and no where near present info.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2012  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Larsdog: just a guess but is the bottom shelf or desk top also curved? It may be the photo but it looks curved or bowed. Might be the way the photo was taken.

The bottom shelf doesn't have any significant weight on it and it has 2 very substantial braces that I couldn't use on upper shelves without causing interference. It should be relatively straight.

Quote:
If you continue getting more Albums, are you planning on knocking out a wall?

It will take a few years before I run out of space on those two shelves and then I will use the shelf at the very top. It has other stuff on it now, but I will move that to another location when necessary, and then beef up the braces on that shelf. That shelf should take me to 2045 or so. I think I'm covered.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2012  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dohmenator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have an awesome collection! All of my coins are in random cases and containers.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2012  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That shelf should take me to 2045 or so. I think I'm covered.

Not if you go on a buying spree
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2995 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2012  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's around 90% of my collection. It isn't usually set up that way, of course - it's mostly all over the apartment

Sorry for the photo crappiness. Coincidentally, these white square things are 2x2s (you can even see that one of them contains a Buffalo nickel - well, you could on the original photo size), so there's a decent scale.

In case you didn't quite understand what's what: there's a huge bunch of single-coin Ziploc baggies (most of them in two larger IKEA Ziplocs), as well as six coin albums, several unsorted Ziplocs and three 2x2s on one of the albums.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2012  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to know there are collectors all over the world ..
Thank you for posting your collection
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19171 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2012  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IKEA Ziplocs),

A suggestion. Contact the manufacturer of those and ask if any PVC type is used in their process.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2995 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2012  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A suggestion. Contact the manufacturer of those and ask if any PVC type is used in their process.

I could check but I doubt there's anything but polyethylene there.
Besides, it's not like I hold coins straight in these big baggies - there's another layer of polyethylene in between (and the few actual loose coins are, well, loose, so any theoretical reaction wouldn't get enough time).
I did notice some problems with my (not in shot) folder pages (specifically, 1970s British pennies started to turn green), but I'm not sure if that was PVC or humidity (I'm planning to put most coins from there in either albums or individual Ziplocs anyway... that is if I ever find the British and German pages, where most of the valuable coins were).
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05