Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Craigslist Buys

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2012  9:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone gotten any good deals off of CL. Recently I have been getting more hits than I was at the beginning of the summer. I have been able to get some pretty good bargains. is anyone else having the same results?
please share your stories and where you are located. I'm curious if there are certain locations where people are more desperate to start selling their PM's

Pillar of the Community
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Their are sometimes great deals on CL you just have to be careful and not be robbed, etc
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Craigslist around here is a desolate wasteland of scam artists when it comes to coins.
Pillar of the Community
1283 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add throwbackid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Craigslist is basically a huge waste of time when it comes to coins. Most on there are coin brokers and unless they are in dire need of money charge the same premium as online retailers.

If you are ever looking to buy or sell shoot me an email I often sell some of my 90% and other random things to buy Morgans's for my set, and I can usually do better then any online retailer.

And be very careful there are many crocks out there just looking to rob you. GL
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im always looking to buy 90%. What do you sell it for
Pillar of the Community
1283 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add throwbackid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send me a PM. I would send you one but it won't let me that feature is disabled on your home page.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Craigslist... an Easter egg hunt for adults.

Around here, it is very hit and miss as regards silver coins, bars, and rounds. Yes, there are quite a few dealers and their prices are not all that great. They tend to be out of date as well, such as from 2-3 weeks prior as regards the current spot silver price. Then, you have the folks who have a silver plated item but think that it is either Sterling when it isn't, or old junk that must therefore be rare and valuable. Very occasionally, one finds a good deal on CL but that does not justify getting robbed or worse by some of these characters. No, as far as I am concerned, one bad deal on CL would wipe out a lifetime's worth of good ones. Not a good ratio of good to bad, IMHO. For me, it is the local shops where I know the people doing the selling and a few on-line retailers with good reps for honest deals. If these aren't the cheapest possible way to gather some silver, then so be it.

Speaking of all this, I stopped in at my favorite local pawn shop this afternoon and he was completely out of silver coins. He said that there just weren't too many people selling now and that there are more buyers than usual. I usually score a few coins whenever I stop in but not today. He is hoping that business picks up as we head into fall. Perhaps it will, as people sell off some silver to pay for school supplies or summer vacation expenses. Hope so.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got two rolls of Wheat cents all from the teens for $10 a few years ago. Nothing special; a well worn 09 VDB being the best. Not a win, not a loss. For the most part, no good deals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do need to say in the past, I have made a few decent deals on clist, but nothing since moving.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2012  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just whatever you do for craigslist buys dont give them your address and dont go to someones house. Keep the meetings very public preferably a police station parking lot. Theres always a risk of robbery with such sales and dealing with silver or gold the chance greatly increases. Better to be over cautious than wish you had been more cautious
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2012  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I visit 2 pawn shops and their coin prices are retail prices....PLUS then they charge $1 (why-?) and a 7.375% sales tax. It's not worth it. I did score once....an 1861 Seated Liberty half in VF for $20 ($21.48 w/tx).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2759 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2012  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Craigslist deals are locally and it's all depend on your location (region).
All precautionary suggestions are good though.

Finding great deals now a day is rare, far and wide between.... you don't expect to get things at 25% or more below actual price.... I sometime find deals that are about 10% below (and consider that a good deal) - if encounter enough of this, one can make a fortune; however, if it happened all the time then it's no longer special nor consider a great deal, right? In the last 6yrs or so, I only recall 2 great deals and of significant value but it required me driving great distant (1 to 2hrs, when gas was less than $3/gallon).

I found it's very inspiring that someone actually making a living via Craigslist (not through PM but mostly appliances): http://recraigslist.com/ This is something for one to think about if he live in a large metro area. I've always thought of this (as a source for additional income) but not as full-time or make a living out of it.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2012  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I visit 2 pawn shops and their coin prices are retail prices....PLUS then they charge $1 (why-?) and a 7.375% sales tax. It's not worth it.

Because they can? I agree, not a good deal there. My local pawn shop sells me 90% silver coins at spot, when he has some, and there is no tax on gold or silver in my state. In the past, I have been able to pick through a number of coins to find the ones that are in the best condition. All are bullion coins with no rare dates or anything but if I can pick out the best looking coins and then pay no more than for the beat up ones, that's a pretty good deal for any bullion coin collector.

Quote:
I did score once....an 1861 Seated Liberty half in VF for $20 ($21.48 w/tx).

Very nice score on that one, Goose. Pics?
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lincsus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased junk silver on Craigslist for a decent price. But most of the times, the sellers are completely out of touch with reality. They will quote prices which they see quoted online but don't bother to see if it actually sold for that price! And selling on CL is an even bigger headache. You get swamped with all kinds of people with predictions of silver crashing in next few months and then offering to but at less than spot. I have got offers from anywhere between 10% less than spot to less than half of spot!
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well at least 10%1400 less isn't too bad of an offer
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've gotten some great deals in my area, after weeding out the scam-artists... I give them a good piece of my mind.. Someone tried to tell me that my buddies (I'm selling for him) MS graded (common) Morgans weren't worth spot... And offered $15 each, and tried to convince me I was dumb for not accepting.... He got a good email from me .. Ending with "hope your proud for trying to rip off the unsuspecting/un-knowledgeable, have a good night and may you rot in h€||"... They don't like me much... Then I flag there "offer/wanted" adds...
I like buying because I offer fair prices for what they have, And they usually thank me and give me a deal for being nice/"charming".... selling... Not so much...
Anytime I buy/sell coins on there I bring a friend, my dog (a staffy) and my LTC... If someone tries to rob me there in for a really bad day...
I just picked 2 Indian heads, 1866 & 67 (good shape but liberty worn off) for pretty cheap, well, really cheap... As well as a few Morgan's.. I have a lot of 450+ extra wheat's listed right now, after all the bogus offers I got someone giving me 52 wheats I need for my folder (ya, it's pretty empty right now...) as well as $... If you have the patience to deal with ripoffs one can find some good deals.. I love the people that say "I'm out of the country now, but I'll send a check/PayPal and have an "agent" pick up the goods".... My response is always.. "well send your "agent" the money then and have them bring me cash"... And then I never hear back
Theres a lady in my area with an UNBELIEVABLE collection of coins, silver gold and platinum for sale, but she's sick of the rediculious offers so she's going to be listing on eBay now... Keep your eyes open as she has some really nice items...If I had 10k laying around I'd buy it all in a heartbeat...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05