Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Shops In Vilnius?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 5,223Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
3319 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2012  04:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone knows any decent coin shops in Vilnius, Lithuania?
I'm currently travelling and will be arriving there this evening, for approximately three days; and I really hoped to get some interesting coins there (either old, foreign, just cheap, or any combination of the above).
Coincidentally, I'm not sure but it is even legal to take old coins out of Lithuania? Either local or not (though I don't intend to get many Lithuanian coins anyway).
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
746 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2012  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is no legal issue concerning taking coins out of Lithuania, I see eBay sellers from there all the time selling almost all kinds of coins, old or new. Some of them have really good Imperial Russia stock as well. However, I haven't been there, I have no idea if there are coin shops or so, but I've seen many street vendors selling all kinds of old items when I was in Latvia, so the situation may be similar.
Have a nice trip!
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2012  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tzarmarko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know of Amy coin shops there, however there are tons of antique stores with coins. Also, there is a coin club (akin to the American coin show) that gets together on occasion. I hear that there are very good deals to be made there.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20020 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2012  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back when my Son bummed all over Europe, college kid, he told me he never saw a coin store or store that specialized in coins like here. BUT coins were sold all over the places as if just old stuff.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2012  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I lived in Tashkent every Sunday morning coin people would gather by a philatelic shop (there were no coin shops whatsoever) to swap/buy/sell.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2547 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2012  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't see any when I was in Vilnius, certainly not in the shopping mall or central but I can see the possibility of finding some coins if you wander up past the church it has little streets which possibly have antique shops. Even if you don't find anything there I remember it being pleasant enough to eat there a couple of times.

I hope you find something of interest there, if you pick something up we want photos!

Edited by DavidUK
08/24/2012 12:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3319 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2012  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for noticing my question! Though apparently so far none of you could give any addresses
I'm in Vilnius already now (arrived 2 hours ago), and I'll try to check antique shops if I find any (that was what I'd usually do really, I just haven't seen any yet - either here or in the previous leg of my trip).
Thanks again for reminding me that even in the unlikely case it is actually illegal, nobody really cares (well, not unless you're going to take pounds of the stuff, anyway).
As for photos - my main camera is so crappy that its photos won't look any decent even if I try to fiddle with brightness and contrast (and believe me, I tried - they're still crappy). I supposed I could get my mom to use her camera, but even then I doubt it'll be that much better.

PS (for svslav): my father spent his childhood in Tashkent. I don't think it made any negative influence in him getting interested in coins
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3319 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2012  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I'm back at my home in Moscow, I feel that I should update this thread...
I finally found what I wanted. In case anyone else here is interested, it's at the third floor of the mall at Gediminas 9 (coincidentally almost across the street from the Money Museum).
It's not technically a coin shop of course; it also sells stamps, medals, and I think some other similar stuff. But for me, it's close enough.
I've picked up about fifteen coins there (haven't counted exactly yet), for a total of just about as many dollars (converted of course - it was 39 Lt in local currency). With the exception of a completely normal Norwegian 50 ore I thought was misspelled (it wasn't, but I didn't know at the time), each of them was likely worth at least that much... for me anyway. I could give a list when I get them into some normal packaging (like ziploc baggies); as I said above photos are unlikely but possible if we find a better camera (note though that some coins are either in 2x2s or some weird very crude 2x2 imitations - of which one actually developed a hole, so I just couldn't resist and took the coin out). In case you wonder: neither Russian nor Lithuanian coins were involved (not as much due to legal issues as because they were just too expensive for some reason).
...I think that's a very long post already, so I'll finish now :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2012  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I visited Vilnius almost 30 years ago - a beautiful city and good memories. Of course it was different time, different atmosphere, and different shops. And different currency!

Besides, at the time I had other priorities in my head.
Later, though, when I came across a coin featuring the city I absolutely had to have it!

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3319 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, for svslav: I don't think I'll ever get any similar coins (i.e. commemorative ounce-ish bullion) in my collection, but if I ever do I'll probably start with the Russian 2003 Kideksha piece (representing a village I've been to in August 2011... to be exact, I spent two weeks in a camp less than a mile from that village).

And for everyone else... I don't have photos for reasons I already explained (we do actually have non-crappy cameras - we use them during out vacations and generally out-of-city trips - but they tend to be well hidden while were at home; the crappy camera I referred to before seems to not be hidden because it's crappy and thus not cared about much). I have a list now though, so here it is, in order of me picking them out of the bag...

Vichy France 1 franc 1943, F-VF
Ireland 3d 1940, VF-XF
Czechoslovakia 20 [hellers?] 1931, F+
Hungary 20 filler 1941, VF-ish (but black)
Bulgaria 1 lev 1925, F+
US 1 cent 1943-D, XF- (brownish-black with reddish spots... I had to do a magnet check, but yeah, it's steel)
Canada 1 cent 1940, VF-ish
Nazi Germany 1 Reichspfennig 1940-A, VF+ (details anyway; this is in one of the crude 2x2 imitations)
Latvia 10 santimi 1922, VF+ (but with a serious mark at the rim... still better than the seller's other example which was apparently slightly corroded so he just had to clean it right before my eyes)
France 25 centimes 1905, F-ish (that was the one that got taken out from its 2x2 imitation... now I wish I didn't do that, its design is just ugly by itself but wasn't as ugly in the "holder")
Belgium 1 belga (5 francs) 1932, VF-XF
Nazi Germany 50 Reichspfennig 1941-E, F-VF (another of these crude 2x2 imitations)
Belgium 10 centimes 1861, F++
Netherlands 1 cent 1922, XF-AU (oh the detail... that's probably my new favorite coin in my collection)
Norway 50 ore 1998, VF-XF (how was I to know they managed to change their spelling so fast)
Turkey 1 kurush 1909 (1327 AH), VF? (or so I decipher the writing on the holder (real 2x2 this time) - I can read 1327 on the coin so I'm sure of that one but have to take the rest on trust... oh and I think it's toned)
Ireland 6d 1928, VF-XF (I think, but I'm not sure, that it was the first coin issue of free Ireland... also, real 2x2 again)
British Caribbean Territories Eastern Group (whew) 10 cents 1955, VF-ish (and finally...)
Israel 1/2 (old) sheqel 1981 ([5]741 AM), XF-AU

That makes, if I haven't miscounted, 19 coins. All grades are estimates based on this page.
In case you're wondering about storage, I put everything that was either raw or in a 2x2 imitation into a small ziploc as is my usual practice (well, with raw coins anyway - I haven't encountered crude 2x2 imitations before); I kept real 2x2s as is as they preserve coins much better than my ziplocs anyway. Oh, and I asked to put the steel cent in a ziploc already at the shop as I didn't want to risk it changing its color too much before I get home

...Okay, any more questions now?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2547 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't sound like a bad haul for 39 litas.

Its a shame the Lithuanian currency was too expensive (and surprising really) but I hope you enjoyed yourself.
Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2013  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hepcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Lithuanian coins I've seen offered on eBay look to be expensive but I guess the mintage at 5000 pieces is quite low by international standards so that probably accounts for the pricing.

I have a 50 litas commemorative King Mindaugas coin that I bought at the central post office in Vilnius in 1997 (unless it was in 2002).

Canada
24 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hepcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There should still be a kiosk at the central post office in downtown Vilnius selling coins but there was also at least one dedicated coin shop in the downtown area near the Parliament buildings in the fall of 2014.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3319 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2016  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There should still be a kiosk at the central post office in downtown Vilnius selling coins but there was also at least one dedicated coin shop in the downtown area near the Parliament buildings in the fall of 2014.

You... do realize I hadn't been to Vilnius since the summer of 2012, right?

Though I suppose it could still be significant for another future collector. Or even for me, if I return there eventually.
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2016  09:52 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.lb.lt/official_distributors

Also the's the official shop of Lithuanian Bank in Vilnius http://www.lb.lt/cash_offices

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2016  04:38 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
january1may
Shop „at the third floor of the mall at Gediminas 9 (coincidentally almost across the street from the Money Museum)" closed, unfortunately.
But the new flea market near Karolina center (Sausio 13-osios st. 2) opened. Working on Saturdays 8.00-12.00. It's near the Vilnius TV tower.
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 5,223Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05