Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Some Feedback On This Walking Liberty Half Dol

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PWinDavis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm curious about this 1940 Walking Liberty half dollar, is this normal wear from circulation or has this coin been polished or something?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add iraqandroll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't tell about the cleaning aspect from that pic, but obviously its always the raised points that get worn first. Looks about right for circulated coin from that year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ErrorCoins222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it was circulated so you would expect some 'dirt' on the surface. It was probably cleaned in some way.
Edited by ErrorCoins222
08/31/2012 9:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1027 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks too clean and shiny for the amount of wear. I don't think it would get anything but a details grade from a respectable TPG. I think it has been cleaned and polished.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's been cleaned as well, a circulated coin from that era should show some toning or dirt in the recessed areas.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cant really see with that picture but I agree its to shinny for its condition
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PWinDavis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I'm still kind of new at this but I looked at that one and several others on ebay and thought they looked polished. To shiny for the wear and condition. That's the seller's photo...
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Id be suspicious of anything that shiny raw on ebay that wasnt brand new
Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2012  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contrast is outta control...

advice...90 degree photo's, obverse and reverse with no manipulation...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2012  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gyrene7483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been cleaned but whether or not it was polished you can't tell by the poor photograph. The coin isn't worth more than what one would expect to pay for "junk" 90% silver in its present condition regardless of which mint mark it has. You can buy a 1940 P or S in XF condition for about $15.00 that has not been cleaned, polished or have any other type of post mint damage for its melt value.

Ed
ANA LM-3175
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2012  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PWinDavis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Contrast is outta control...

advice...90 degree photo's, obverse and reverse with no manipulation...

Amida
Thanks. Not my photo, I could do better and certainly would have better balance.

In any case, I'm certain I won't be bidding on this one or the others, the coin doesn't do anything for me.

I was just trying to understand what happened to this coin, if I was right in what I thought about it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3267 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2012  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned and polished - no doubt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05