Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Tell A Fake 1889 CC Morgan From Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 768Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  8:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I don't have any pictures at the moment, well not that I can upload from my phone... Here's a link for them on my Flickr photos of its allowed..., although there really bad photos, there the sellers photos, and no, not eBay. I don't know if they'll be any use as there horrible resolution... Kinda blurry.. I'm hoping he sends some better ones tomorrow, & when I meet him to check it out I'll take photos and post them before I buy it.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/80611406@N07/

Anyways I know this is a highly counterfeited coin and before I bought it I wanted to ask the advise of all the people here...especially that it's not TPG'ED.. Not that I have reason to suspect this seller, he lives near me and I believe he bought the coin from a reputable dealer for good money, and I know he also has a bunch of graded coins for sale....But as I really don't want to buy a fake I was wondering what to look for in terms of fakes? Anything particular to look for? Weight? Toning? Magnetic? I'll guess that a scratch/rub test for silver is a horrible idea due to the value of the coin? Not that I have one, but he could meet me at a coin/jewelery shop... I'm going to assume that if they make counterfeits of this coin then there Probably pretty good ones and hard to detect..
Any advise or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot! Sorry for the bad photos...
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kasey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definitely weigh it and check to see if its magnetic. That's always a right off the bat way to see a fake. It should be a decent strike and not mooshy or flat-which is different from just being warn down. If it looks mooshy its an indication of a fake. Pictures would help, but you haven't seen it yet in person. Assuming its raw I would be vary careful in grading as prices vary greatly in the au-ms state..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Theres a few pics up in the above link... But there not to good... Click the link and it should go to a few pics.

Thanks, ya, the weight and the magnet were going to be my first tests, as well as (lightly) ting it against another Morgan for the "silver" sound...by "mushy" just not a sharp strike, and wear that looks unusual? The pics look like its decent with natrual toning but I can't tell for sure with the poor quality... I just didn't know what to look for in a good fake... Any and all suggestions would be great.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kasey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We specialize in Carson coins and fakes of rare dates usually weigh right and are made of the right material...when encountering a key date and in the CC Morgans '89 is the key date, you want it certified because most collectors know what they have even if they inherited it....but draws are not unheard of I suggest looking up auction records such as from Heritage to compare pics.....
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2012  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kasey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fakes * sorry are not unheard of.....do you have any idea of a price range their asking?
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 768Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05