Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Circulated Proofs?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  04:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These have been turning up with a stunning amount of regularity at my work since the stunning "75% of a state set right here, thanks" night, when I got what appeared to be uncirculated proofs. I've found two proofs before (1968 penny, 1986 nickel), but in the last few weeks I've found three proof State Quarters that are, sadly, damaged due to circulation (I rescued two, and one disappeared). They're not massively banged-up, as far as coins go, but the mirror finishes are damaged.

What are these worth? Should I throw them on the Bay and hope somebody wants them? (Does someone here want to give them a good home?) Or are even damaged proofs worth holding onto?
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your choice. If they're impaired, not many would want them. You might wanna set them free for someone else to worry about.
Edited by numismo
09/12/2012 08:17 am
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdbarrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets see some photos.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen a half a dozen proof coins show up in change this year at work, I've even found one, a 1986 proof quarter, in a park while metal detecting.
Valued Member
291 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Senex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once pulled a Bicentennial quarter proof from circulation.
Sadly, it was not silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last month I received a 2006s proof quarter in change, and knowing it's not worth much, decided to release this cutie back into circulation for someone else to enjoy.. I have also received a 1982 DDO Loincoln Cent and a 1996 Cent that at first glance looks to be a heavy grease strike, but I'm now thinking it may be struck from a late stage capped die... I just posted photos on photobucket and will be posting them on CCF in a day ot two...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3046 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a lowball Proof State Quarter set
bet not many could be built under PR50
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VGRX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR50?

I didn't know such a grade existed. With enough wear wouldn't they be given a circulated grade?
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VGRX

No. A "proof" coin is a coin struck using a special minting process and made especially for collectors, the dies and planchets are (usually) treated differently then dies and planchets used for circulated coinage. Once a proof coin is made it will always be a proof coin even if it gets released into circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3507 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, they will always be a proof coin. The number simply designates the level of wear on it. So you could conceivably have a PF8 coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2012  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1967Canadapenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1995s half dollar. It is one of my favorite coins but I haven't posted it lately because last time I did everyone thought it was counterfeit. I assure you, it is just my inability to take good photos . I took this pic a few months ago, and its even more worn now. It has a beautiful circulation cameo.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05