Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1984 Los Angeles Olympics $10 Gold

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 12,950Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2012  8:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I haven't seen many posts concerning the modern US gold commemoratives, so I thought I would pull one out of the bank and present it. First up, the 1984 gold eagle issued to mark the 1984 Olympic Games held in Los Angeles. It's a coin with several "firsts" and distinctions on its resume.

The commemorative coin program for the Los Angeles Olympics included two silver dollar designs, one for 1983-dated coins and another for 1984-dated coins. Only one design was used for the $10 gold coin, with all coins bearing the date ‘1984'. It was the first US gold coin struck since 1933, and was the first gold commemorative coin issued since the 1926 quarter eagle for the sesquicentennial of American independence.

The coin's design is the work of two artists, James M. Peed and John Mercanti. Peed is credited with the "Two Runners" design concept for the coin's obverse, with Mercanti responsible for executing Peed's concept and for creating the reverse design.

The obverse design met with the most criticism when it was first revealed. The first draft of the design included two runners superimposed over the Olympic Rings. Some on the Commission of Fine Arts considered the design too busy and also wondered about potential criticisms based on the apparent race or ethnicity of the runners. The design was simplified via the removal of the Olympic symbol in the background and was modified to better present the runners and to distance them from the coin's date.

The coin's reverse features a heraldic eagle design that, while attractive, has little to connect it to the Olympic Games or Los Angeles.

The coin was struck in Proof and Uncirculated and at four different US Mint facilities. The West Point Bullion Depository struck both versions of the coin, while the Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco mints each struck only proof coins; West Point would be designated as a 'Mint' in 1988. The coins struck at the West Point facility feature the ‘W' mintmark, the first US coins to do so. This coin is the only US commemorative coin - classic or modern - to be struck at four different US mint facilities.

The coin is 27mm in diameter (just over an inch), is struck on 0.900 fine planchets and includes 0.484 troy ounces of gold. Interesting note, the planchets were produced outside of the Mint by Johnson Matthey Company.

The original price for an uncirculated coin from West Point was $339.00, the price for the individual proof coins was $352.00. The coins were also packaged in a number of ways with the silver dollar issues.

Enjoy!

1984 LA Olympics Gold Eagle - Obverse

1984 LA Olympics Gold Eagle - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2012  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collected some as a kid, but when these came out, I got the collecting bug again.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2012  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again commems for reminding me to satisfy the budding urge to acquire a few of these.

Value and apreciate all your posts.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6354 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2012  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to sell my $10 gold last year.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18587 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2012  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The nicest of the U.S> gold $10 commemoratives in my opinion, but it brings to mind (I don't know why), the Canadian $20 gold commem, which is about the same size.
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2012  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember when these came out and I probably still have the sales literature that was sent from the mint. I was only in grade nine, so the gold coin was nothing but a fantasy. I intended to get the dollars, but for some reason I did not follow through.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2013  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add secondnomore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The '84 3-coin set was my dream for a long time. I would still love to get one but I just have things I want to spend $325 on a whole lot more. I do have both dollars in the 2-coin set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2013  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someday...I'll be able to go for the gold....

Looking at the Eagles on the 3 coins - who thinks they would survive the cut today and make it to the coins? I personally like how they aren't perfect, and in fact the gold one looks down right scrawny compared to the ones we have on other coins. I have these in the 3 coin silver sets and really like the silver coins for the "classic" take they strive for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating! I love this stuff!!

Great job Commems!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder how many of these have already made their way to the melting pot?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2013  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the set that got me into coins. My grandmother bought this set when it came out and it was the first collector coin set I ever laid my eyes on. I was in 1st grade at the time. The funny thing is I didn't recognize the gold coin as being the most valuable element of the collection- it was the large silver proof coin featuring the diskobulus of Myron that captured my attention.

imagine my thrill when I later got to know the coin's designer, Mr. John Mercanti. In my opinion, Mercanti's eagles are amazing. He's working on one now for the Perth Mint that you wouldn't believe!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2396 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2013  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The original price for an uncirculated coin from West Point was $339.00

I picked up three of these for $170 each about 10 years ago from a mail order house. I knew the price was good, but not how good.

I've sold two, but I won't sell the third for less than $1,000. I'm in no hurry.
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Not Mint to Be to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the only U.S. coin to have a Mint Mark from 4 mints in the same year? I really do like the simple design of the commemorative both Obv and Rev.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Not Mint to Be: No. The first US coins to carry four different mint marks in the same year are the 1854 gold quarter eagles and gold half eagles. The coins were struck at five different mint facilities and carried the "C," "D," "O" and "S" mint marks for Charlotte, Denver, New Orleans and San Francisco. The coins were also struck at the Philadelphia Mint but did not feature a mint mark.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4905 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2018  08:30 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful commemorative coin there commems and thanks for the history lesson too.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58404 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2018  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree for sure.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 12,950Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05