Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1994 World Cup Coins - Part I

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 8,905Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2012  9:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The FIFA World Cup soccer tournament was held in the US for the first time in 1994; Brazil defeated Italy in the final match on penalty kicks 3 to 2 to win the trophy. To mark the US' hosting of the tournament, a set of US commemorative coins was sponsored by World Cup USA 1994, Inc. " the tournament's organizing committee " and issued by the US Mint. The set included a $5.00 gold coin, a silver dollar and a clad half-dollar; the coins were available in proof and uncirculated finishes.

The three coins shared a common reverse, the sponsoring organization's logo between a pair of laurel branches. The obverse of the gold half-eagle depicts the World Cup's Championship Trophy, the design of the silver dollar features two soccer players battling for control of the ball, and the half-dollar portrays a single soccer player advancing the ball up field. Dean McMullen was responsible for the common reverse design as well as the obverse of the silver dollar, William J. Krawczewicz designed the obverse of the gold $5.00 coin and Richard T. LaRoche designed the obverse of the half-dollar.

1994 World Cup Gold Half-Eagle " Obverse

1994 World Cup Silver Dollar " Obverse

1994 World Cup Clad Half-Dollar " Obverse

1994 World Cup Coins " Common Reverse

Regular issue prices for each coin were as follows:
  • Gold $5.00: $220 (Proof) and $205 (Uncirculated)

• Silver $1.00: $31 (Proof) and $28 (Uncirculated)

• Clad $0.50: $10.50 (Proof) and $9.50 (Uncirculated)

An interesting side note of the World Cup commemorative coinage program, while the World Cup 1994 group received approximately $9.3 million in collected surcharges based on sales of the commemorative coins, the US Mint lost approximately $4.1 million based on lower than expected sales. The US Mint's financial loss generated by the 1994 World Cup coin program was one of the catalysts for reform in how surcharges are distributed for modern US commemorative coins; under today's rules, all US Mint costs for the coin program would have been recovered before any surcharges were distributed to the sponsor.

World Cup USA 1994 heavily promoted the games and was responsible for issuing and authorizing a wide range of souvenirs to mark the event. Among the many items available were a pair of philatelic-numismatic covers (PNCs) - now often simply called "coin covers" " that included the three US stamps issued for the World Cup and an uncirculated half-dollar. The first cover was a "First Day Cover" issued on the date the stamps were first released by the USPS (26 May 1994); it was postmarked at the site of the first match - East Rutherford, NJ. The second was an "Event Cover" that was issued/postmarked on the day the Championship Game took place (17 July 1994).

1994 World Cup PNC First Day Cover " Front

1994 World Cup PNC First Day Cover " Back

1994 World Cup PNC Championship Game Event Cover " Front

1994 World Cup PNC Championship Game Event Cover " Back

Part II of my post on the 1994 World Cup coins will focus on the special packaging options avaialble for the coins.

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2012  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You, sir are amazing

Thank you for continuing to share
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My collecting base of knowledge is limited such that I have nothing to contribute content wise to your excellent thread commems ...

I will certainly acknowledge the tremendous sharing of knowledge that exemplifies all of you valued threads here at the CCF.

Your personal contributions to expand all of our collecting horizons are very much valued and appreciated by me.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1302 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2012  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great information, though I have to admit these issues are at the bottom of my list of interest. I don't like blatant corporate tie in coins- with the possible exception of the Olympics programs - and then only when I don't feel like we collectors are being utterly exploited. I am surprised that we haven't seen any Olympic coin programs since Salt Lake City.

The two soccer player motif was slightly modified for the 1996 Olympic soccer half, am I right?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2012  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The two soccer player motif was slightly modified for the 1996 Olympic soccer half, am I right?

Agree that the two coins share a design theme " two players battling for control of a soccer ball - but believe both to be original designs vs. the 1996 Olympics half-dollar being just a slight modification of the 1994 World Cup coin. Two players battling for the ball during a match is a very common occurrence and a natural inspiration for the design of a coin, medal, etc.

Here's the 1996 half-dollar featuring women's soccer for those unfamiliar with it:

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2012  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1967Canadapenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks commems, I'm a huge association football fan, I love my seattle sounders, and of course I watch our mediocre national team occasionally as well 2 of my favorite things football and coins
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 8,905Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05