Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying A Non-Descript Token | Vb Stock Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  06:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Poetheraven1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know that the folks in this community are pretty smart and knowledgeable when it comes to coins and tokens. I am hoping someone can help me out.

I collect almost anything collectible. Coins, Tokens, stamps, ball cards, etc. I've run across this token which I have been unable to identify. Actually I have two of them. One is Bronze, and the other is white metal (probably steel). The bronze one is 28 mm while the steel one is 29 mm. I've located the crown design on the obverse to be a stock token design #1521 at tokensdirect.com. But, it seems to me that someone must have bought this design for some use? I'd like to find out what it was used for if I can.

Identified - moved to Tokens forum - Sap
Learn More...
Australia
13096 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen these posted a couple of times on the forum before; this old thread is the only one I could find on short notice, and the pictures have expired (PhotoBucket...grrr ).

Though the coat of arms is Spanish, I've never seen them anywhere except from American-based posters, so I assume they're made there rather than in Spain. The letters "VB" inside the crown above the shield are presumably the initials of the manufacturer. I can't recall anyone posting any definitive answer on what they were, whether token or game-piece.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimjumper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm wondering if it might be some type of beer token. "VB" for Victoria Bitters ( a popular Australian beer) perhaps?
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Poetheraven1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's one other piece of information that I forgot to state. I've located stock designs #1521 and #0836 for the designs on the obverse and reverse (which one is which I don't know). I contacted tokensdirect.com who has the stock designs, but have not heard back from them yet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to tokensdirect.com they are listed here:

http://www.vanbrooktokens.com/avail...ndesigns.htm which may explain the VB.

#836 and 1521
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done!
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2013  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Poetheraven1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, now the plot thickens. I wonder if tokensdirect.com and VanBrooktokens is the same. They have the same stock token numbers for the designs, and these companies are forever changing. I tried to send BanBrook an email to see if they knew anything, but was unable to find an email address for this type of communication. Oh, well, better men than Me have tried to learn about this token, and for the past 9 years or so, no one has. Kinda like looking for D.B. Cooper, lots of clues, but unable to find out anything for sure.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2013  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Poetheraven1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, now, I just received a call from the token minter. Tokensdirect.com advises that they make this token in 3 different sizes, including the size I have of 28.6 mm. It is a general purpose token used by a number of their various customers for vending machines, arcades, games, etc. Since it is general purpose used by many different businesses, it cannot be attributed to any one use. The two tokens I have are of brass, and chrome plated brass. Terrible thing to go to all that trouble just to find that it has no specific purpose or value. Guess its worth more as scrap metal than anything else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1357 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2013  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is the way most maverick tokens are. Even when you can track down who makes them it doesn't always help. Most customers don't pay to personalize the tokens. This has been a problem for as long as tokens have been used. I have several U.S. trade tokens and several of them look very similiar, except the name of the store is different. The tokens are from different states, but probably made by the same company (or two token companies got the same die company to make dies for them :D )

Now, as for it being work more as scrap metal. If you like tokens you can always keep them. Some people collect as many tokens of different types as they can. Personally I like my tokens to be identifiable (or hane something on them that catches my eye). But other people like to give homes to maverick tokens.

Some people spend many years trying to identify a token in their collection. I know of people who have found tokens metal detecting and were never able to identify them. I know of a token (I don't own it) that even has a name of a person, the store, and the town/state on it. The only problem is that nobody remembers the store ever existing in the town, there is no records of the person or the store in the newspapers or directories either. Strange huh? So I don't see it as being a terrible thing, with tokens you get used to dead ends.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2013  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Poetheraven1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of items I forgot to mention are that the VB stands for Van Brook as someone previously mentioned. It seems that tokensdirect.com and Van Brook actually were incorporated into Osborne Coinage Company, but they kept their stock token designs as well as the design numbers. These tokens are also used in vending machines, so trying to attribute it to any particlar type of business is futile..as the Borg said, "Resistance if futile". Boy, I guess this burst the bubble of a lot of people holding this token. I actually spoke with someone from Community Ventures at 1-859-259-0316. This must be a clearning house for various ventures.
Regards,

Bill
Learn More...
Australia
13096 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2013  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No research is wasted if the results of the research are published; it saves people in the future trying to replicate that same research all over again. It's good to finally have definitive answers about these pieces. You can be sure future posters will be directed to the answers found in this thread.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2016  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add galarky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One gentleman in this thread mentioned a friend who had a token with the store name as well as a mans name on it and being unable to find any further info on it. I would suggest doing a search on the Chronicling America web site for those names. They have a huge amount of old newspapers archived there and stores do advertise. Might get lucky. I do have one of the tokens that are pictured in the first post in this thread.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05